alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello,

I just had a quick question about state of residency and residency applications when the time comes. I am a 3rd year medical student. I am orginally from California (went to undergrad there) and now go to a private east coast medical school. I wanted to ask you guys with experience applying to residencies, if it is advantageous to hold a California state residency (California driver's license) when applying to California residencies? I would like to go back and I just wanted to see if it would hurt me if I applied to those California residencies with my new state's driver license (because it turns out I may need to change driver license/state of residency for car parking purposes).

Thank you! Sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find an answer anywhere??

Valadi

7+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Not from Cali myself, but from what I've heard Cali likes to take Cali people.

That being said, I know plenty of people not from California that went off to residency there.

Does Stanford discriminate based on state? Being that it's private.

OP
alibai3ah

alibai3ah

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Not from Cali myself, but from what I've heard Cali likes to take Cali people.

That being said, I know plenty of people not from California that went off to residency there.

Does Stanford discriminate based on state? Being that it's private.
Well that's the thing, I am from California....I just don't go to medical school there. And I just didn't want them to treat me like an OOS student, if I changed my residency (considering I lived there all my life until before medical school).

RestoreSight

7+ Year Member
Jun 12, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Where your state residency is does not matter to California programs, its how you structure your application. I was in your situation before I applied to ophtho programs. I grew up in CA, went to CAL for undergrad, then medical school in the east. CA has a strong bias towards taking people from the west. What you should do is apply for away rotations at your choice CA programs then make it clear in your application that you grew up there, rotated there and wish to return. It goes without saying you also need a strong application and it depends what specialty you are applying into. Its easy to return if you are fam med or IM, tougher for rad onc and derm, etc.