SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

State Residency Legitamacy Question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by phantomx87, Apr 28, 2007.

  1. phantomx87

    phantomx87 Wishing I was a bum 5+ Year Member

    Hey everyone... Need an INFORMED opinion on this subject:

    I am a resident of PA, but my father has a practice in NJ. (We used to live there, but that's beside the point.) Anyways, we pay taxes in both states. Would I qualify to apply as an in-state resident of NJ for their schools? :confused:

    I am obviously going to call the schools for their official take on the subject. Thing is, it's been bothering me for a while and I can't really wait that long to know (yeah, I'm inpatient, but so are the rest of you! :laugh: )

    Much thanks and appreciation in advance!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MyStiKxFury

    MyStiKxFury 2+ Year Member

    Sep 7, 2006
    Your state of residency is the state where you have your driver's license and voter's registration, and you can only have one state of legal residency
  4. postbacker

    postbacker Banned Banned

    Mar 27, 2007
    It varies from state to state, but the above is basically true for every state. Some states apply other "tests" of residency, such as providing copies of residential leases, mortgage info, utility bills, etc., in your name with an in-state address, and other such proof. Where YOU pay income taxes is also a key indicator of residency.

    I think that it is very difficult to switch state residency simply by attending school out of state - there is a lot of confusion and I believe erroneous info here about being able to file for in-state tuition privileges after being at a school for a year - ultimately the schools you are interested in are the best source of information on this issue. Nobody here can make any blanket statements on this matter.
  5. Wanna_B_Scutty

    Wanna_B_Scutty MS1 2+ Year Member

    Mar 30, 2006
    ^^^ A good answer. OP, I appreciate that you're impatient, but admissions offices will be open again tomorrow (Monday). You can call then. 24 hours is really not too terribly long to wait! :cool:
  6. Law2Doc

    Law2Doc 5K+ Member Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

    Dec 20, 2004

    There is no single hard and fast rule for all states and schools. Things that may be indicators of state residency are license and voter registration, but in fact you can have both these things and still not be a state's resident. (For example some schools require as much as 5 years of residing in the state for non-academic purposes, etc). Thus people can't give a blanket rule like this that OP can rely on. OP - check with the school.
  7. postbacker

    postbacker Banned Banned

    Mar 27, 2007
    I read somewhere (probably on SDN) that Massachusetts has this kind of a waiting period (5 years) - my guess is that the law was written to specifically prohibit out of state students enrolling in MA public colleges and trying to claim in-state privileges after a year...

    Also note that most if not all states have significantly toughened their laws for obtaining drivers licenses and ID cards in the aftermath of 9/11, and the laws that go hand in hand with that for establishing residency in these states have been toughened as is easier to get a US passport than a drivers license in my state (in terms of proof of residency issues)...
  8. phantomx87

    phantomx87 Wishing I was a bum 5+ Year Member

    Hey everyone... I appreciate all then answers. I knew pretty much what the answer was, but I wanted to ask anyway. I am still going to call the schools individually, but all of your answers/opinions really help.

    Thanks a lot and good luck everyone in all your endeavors!

Share This Page