State Residency problem. Need Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmarina1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am applying this cycle.

I was born and raised in NY. Went to college in MD, came back to NY and worked. THen went to MA to do a post bac (from 9/2008-12/2009) and since 1/2010 I have been here and will continue to be here till (if?) I matriculate.

I have filed taxes here in MA,as well as registered to vote, since Ive worked full time while Ive been here, even in school. I am NOT claimed as a dependent by my parent in NY.

So, with the exception of 1/2010 onwards, I have only been out of NY for higher ed. purposes. But now, because of this gap year, am I no longer a NY resident?

I'd be really really pissed to lose NY residency because I was gone for a few months after living practically my whole life there.

Can I put NY as my state of residence on my MCAT?

Basically, I want the SUNY schools to view me as an instate app. Help please! Thank you.

Someone at SUNY upstate should be able to help you figure out this problem - residency rules differ per state, so that's probably your best option

Hi,

I was born and raised in NY. Went to college in MD, came back to NY and worked. THen went to MA to do a post bac (from 9/2008-12/2009) and since 1/2010 I have been here and will continue to be here till (if?) I matriculate.

I have filed taxes here in MA,as well as registered to vote, since Ive worked full time while Ive been here, even in school. I am NOT claimed as a dependent by my parent in NY.

So, with the exception of 1/2010 onwards, I have only been out of NY for higher ed. purposes. But now, because of this gap year, am I no longer a NY resident?

I'd be really really pissed to lose NY residency because I was gone for a few months after living practically my whole life there.

Basically, I want the SUNY schools to view me as an instate app. I went to HS in NYC for goodness sake! I guess I should harp on that in my 2ndary? Help please! Thank you.

I'm not sure if you know this, but UMass's med school only accepts in-state apllicants (except for MD, PhD), and one of their requirements for being 'in-state' is that you had to graduate from a high school in MA. In other words, do whatever you can to maintain NY residency

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm facing almost the exact same situation as you, except my states are different (OH-home, WA-current). I've read many admissions pages and consulted my undergrad pre-med advisor. The verdict is this: if you file your own taxes and your parents don't claim you as an independent on theirs, you are no longer from their state. Med schools can see whether your were filed as an independent in their state.

Kind of sucks to be financially independent and at a loss for med school admissions...

Hi,

Basically, I want the SUNY schools to view me as an instate app. I went to HS in NYC for goodness sake! I guess I should harp on that in my 2ndary? Help please! Thank you.

Submit a request to make changes to your tax forms; file as a dependent; ask your parents to do the same thing (assuming that they file their income taxes in NY) and claim you as a dependent.