State Residency Question!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedProspect1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a quick question about what state residency. I am currently living in Florida, but am leaving this fall to go to college in South Carolina. I was wondering whether I would still be considered a Florida Resident, or a South Carolina Resident when my junior year came around to apply? I guess the reason I'm wondering is when the time comes would it be worthless to apply to USC and MUSC if I don't get residency in South Carolina? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

well that depend on if u are going to change your drivers license and voter registration from FL to SC or not...

well that depend on if u are going to change your drivers license and voter registration from FL to SC or not...

So your saying its more of whatever my preference is? I think it would be more beneficial to stay a Florida resident though with 6 allo schools compared to South Carolina's 2. Thank you for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
SC is actually pretty picky about students taking state residency... you will have to actually live there, rather than living in the dorms of wherever you choose.

HOWEVER, USC (at least) does give interviews to people with strong ties to SC, even if they aren't residents. Case in point... I went to college in CO, and am a CO resident. However, I went to HS in SC, and I got an interview at USC last time I applied. I didn't ultimately get in, but I'm pretty sure that was for reasons beyond me not being a resident, since I didn't even get into my state school. And, even if you are OOS your first year of med school in SC, you can apply for in-state tuition after your first year. If you change your driver's license and whatnot right away, you could probably even make an argument to change right away.

But, I'd hold onto the FL residency, since you have more schools there to apply to in-state.

SC is actually pretty picky about students taking state residency... you will have to actually live there, rather than living in the dorms of wherever you choose.

HOWEVER, USC (at least) does give interviews to people with strong ties to SC, even if they aren't residents. Case in point... I went to college in CO, and am a CO resident. However, I went to HS in SC, and I got an interview at USC last time I applied. I didn't ultimately get in, but I'm pretty sure that was for reasons beyond me not being a resident, since I didn't even get into my state school. And, even if you are OOS your first year of med school in SC, you can apply for in-state tuition after your first year. If you change your driver's license and whatnot right away, you could probably even make an argument to change right away.

But, I'd hold onto the FL residency, since you have more schools there to apply to in-state.

Thank you! You answered everything I wanted to know to a T. I will just keep my Florida Residency with the hope it will be an advantage in the future for getting into med school.

Thank you! You answered everything I wanted to know to a T. I will just keep my Florida Residency with the hope it will be an advantage in the future for getting into med school.

Most states will not consider you a resident if you are only there to be enrolled in college. You will be a FL resident whether you want to or not.