State Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vsankuratri

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I won't be applying for a while but just wondering.

1. My parents own property in Texas but we live and have lived in Illinois for the last 13 years. Does this qualify me for instate in Texas?

2. If and if the first condition does apply to me can I still put my state of residency as Illinois on my AMCAS? While still claiming instate on TMDSAS?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Completely wrong thread. Didn't realize where I was posting sorry! If a mod could move it I'd appreciate it

Hi guys, I won't be applying for a while but just wondering.

1. My parents own property in Texas but we live and have lived in Illinois for the last 13 years. Does this qualify me for instate in Texas?

2. If and if the first condition does apply to me can I still put my state of residency as Illinois on my AMCAS? While still claiming instate on TMDSAS?

Thanks!

1. Please read the guidelines for being IS in Texas.
2. Absolutely NO

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice try but no. Also, having parents who own property in Texas isn't enough to claim residency by a long shot.

Hmmm I am technically a resident in two states. Goodness, can you only pick one state for residency in regards to med school? *siiiiiiigh*

Hmmm I am technically a resident in two states. Goodness, can you only pick one state for residency in regards to med school? *siiiiiiigh*

Such a huge dilemma. Whatever will I do .... Caribbean sounds like the only option

Im in a very similar dilemma - check out my thread called "Residency Question" - I personally called TDMSAS for their advice.

I lived in TX and was a TX resident for my entire life up until now where I'm establishing VA residency by the mere fact I now work here (starting in July). I was born in TX, graduated from highschool there, was a dependent on my parents income tax until this year, and lived there every holiday while attending an OOS college. I still have a TX license and voter registration there.

Property isnt enough I believe. You're supposed to fill 3 requirements, and having lived in Illinois for 13 years will definitely hurt you. In my opinion, I'm definitely more of TX resident than you (no offense - just going by the rules), and if I end up getting denied (Im going to appeal it on my app), then you most certainly will too.

Hope my thread helps!

Just for quick reference:

You can claim residency either via high school, domicile, or dependent status on a TX resident's tax return. For HS, the 3 residency requirements are:

1). Graduated from HS in TX
2). Lived there for 36 months prior to graduating from a TX HS.
3). Lived in TX 12 months prior to applying for med school - this is where I fail.

For domicile:

1). established domicile in this state not less than 12 months before the census date of the academic semester in which the person enrolls in an
institution
2). maintained domicile continuously in the state for the 12 months immediately preceding the census date of the academic semester in which the
person enrolls in an institution.

Being a dependent on the income tax return of a TX resident, however, wipes all of those requirements, though. Dunno if that will apply to you.

APPLIES TO YOU: directly from the rules:

***Although not conclusive or exhaustive, the following factors occurring throughout at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the census date of the semester in which a person seeks to enroll may lend support to a claim regarding his/her intent to establish and maintain domicile in Texas:
1). sole or joint marital ownership of residential real property in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, having established and maintained domicile at that residence;
(2) ownership and customary management of a business, by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, in Texas which is regularly operated without the intention of liquidation for the foreseeable future;
(3) gainful employment in Texas by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent;
(4) marriage, by the person seeking to enroll or the dependent's parent, to a person who has established and maintained domicile in Texas.

Having a parent own property is def not enough. Sorry :(

Last edited: