state residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrogE7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
does any one know how long one has to live in the state to gain state residency, epsecially for the state of New York? what procedure do you have to go through?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

it depends for every state.
for the purposes of med school some states its virtually impossible to gain residency like vermont, michigan etc...

not sure about ny but im sure the ny premeds know. or i can look it up in a bit.

try doing a search for this topic as it has been discussed at length several times...

That said, usually you need to have lived in the state for at least 1 year not for educational purposes, and you have to prove your intent to domicile in the state by having a permanent address, drivers license, pay taxes, vote, car registration in that state. Each state is a little different, and I would suggest calling the schools you intend to apply to and see what they say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Massachusetts is also tough -- either you have to have graduated from high school there (there's more to that but I'm not sure) or continuous residency in the state for 5 years (primarily taxes, but also driver's license, permanent address, domicile, etc.) The only exception is for outstanding MD/PhD, but the state law mandates that there are exactly 100 Mass residents matriculating into the medical program each year. Out of staters still have to pay $25,000 tuition for the MD portion and there may be huge problems if the person decides to drop the PhD.

jlee--

i see that you got into michigan state. congrats. i am a michigan resident and prolly have a decent shot at my state schools. too bad i have had enough of michigan, the cold weather, and the closed mindedness.

Originally posted by FrogE7
jlee--

i see that you got into michigan state. congrats. i am a michigan resident and prolly have a decent shot at my state schools. too bad i have had enough of michigan, the cold weather, and the closed mindedness.

:laugh: yeah it does sound like you need a change of scenery.