state residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fp02c

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if your mom lives in one state, and your dad another is there an option in the application where you can put either state as the state of residency??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure you can only put one state as your state of residency. Which state do you file taxes in? Which state is your car registered in? That's probably your state of residency.

There is no national standard for state residency, but the single most important piece of information is where you're registered to vote.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no national standard for state residency, but the single most important piece of information is where you're registered to vote.

Other supporting evidence may be where you graduated from high school and in some states, if you are paying in-state tuition at your college (usually because of ties to the state).

Does either parent claim you as a dependent on their taxes? (not a CPA here, but I think that only one of them can do it - my understanding is that is one of the things people work out in a divorce)...