Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

state residency

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by peabody, Apr 29, 2002.

1. peabody

peabody Member
    7+ Year Member

I have a technical question about one's state of residence. I am a legal resident of the state of Massachusetts - I vote here and I have a driver's license here. I have been in continuous residence since enrolling in college here and have not spent more than one week a year in Florida (where I am from). I am planning on applying for medical school admission, most likely in 2004. Mass basically says I will not be eligible to apply to their school because they require residency for five years prior to admission, and you must not have been a dependent of someone in another state during that period. I will be a dependent of my legal guardians in Florida through September. Should I try to revert to my Florida residency before then (not meaning I would move back there)? Or will it not make any difference in the end? Thanks so much.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It would depend on the school to which you would like to apply. Are they more receptive to Mass residents, Florida residents, or neither?

4. pwrpfgrl

pwrpfgrl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I think residency can be a little confusing. UMass doesn't even look at your application unless you are a MA resident,which takes 5 years, so if you want to apply next cycle, I would suggest using your parents as your "permanent residence" and you will still be considered a FL resident (i think). However, if you really want to go to UMass, stick around for a few more years, and you will be eligible to apply there. I know with some states they don't count you as really "residing" there if you are just in school - can't remember if that's the case with Mass or not.

5. peabody

peabody Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the help. Actually I did become a resident of Massachusetts (I know most students don't) and it turns out that I probably can't claim Florida residency anyway after September because I will no longer be a dependent of a resident (I graduate in May). Anyway, thanks for the tips. It's funny to think that every medical school other than UMass would consider me a Massachusetts resident. Oh the joys of the commonwealth.

6. As a Massachusetts resident (by UMass standards), you can't count the time you are in school as time towards residency. I almost couldn't count my time in grad school even though I worked full time and paid taxes and registered a car, had a lease, etc. In the end, it was ok because I was not a dependent of anyone else and truly lived here, but it's a case by case thing. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you'll qualify with your parents being in FL. If you'd graduated from HS in MA, things would be different...I know these rules have left quite a few people without a home state when they apply to med school and thus without "state" schools!