• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

fullefect1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
Mass
Status (Visible)
I do not see that many state college applicants getting into top med schools. What do you guys think about this? Is it because most of the lower state school applicants are not getting the high MCAT scores, or are the top schools biased about the state colleges average SAT scores?

When I say state school, I am not talking about the states major university, I am speaking of just any old state college.

GTea

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2004
CA
Status (Visible)
I agree in that where you did your undergrad matters. In CA, there are a bunch of Cal State schools (not UCs), but I have heard that you really have to do well to get into medschools coming from Cal States. I don't know of any statistics backing this claim up, but personally I have not met any state school students at any of my interviews. But I do know there are students from these state schools that get into good schools every year.

Going through the application process, I learned that your undergrad matters. And yes I think admissions are biased towards well-known institutions (thats only natural). However, I think it is unfortunate that many schools seemed to weigh this too much. I know that top students at Cal States, for example, could really kick ass. The smartest person I know personally, by the way, went to a not-so-well-known school in CA.

About the Ads

quideam

Too tired to complain
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2003
NYC
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I really don't think it's weighed that much... i'm from a very average state school, and I got into Pitt (top 20 school) and waitlist tier 1 at Penn, plust interviews at Cornell and Yale (the only other 'top' schools, besides hopkins, that I applied to).

So while I think that coming from an ivy league helps, coming from a state school definetely doesn't hurt you - it just doesn't help you either :)

fullefect1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
Mass
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by jlee9531
where would you be getting your information?

Looking through the posts on mdapplicants.com, ya i know that there are many more that get accepted, I just never get to see where they are from. (I wish i could though)

celticmists18

california dreaming
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
studying for Step 1
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I went to the University of California, San Diego and will be starting at Jefferson MC this fall (a med school that I consider to be very good). I interviewed at Drexel, Temple, Wake Forest and Georgetown. I really don't think your info is accurate. Many of my friends and fellow grads have been accepted to very good med schools (ie UCSF, UCSD). Though what you consider a good school (ie big name) may not be what I consider a good school.

clowne

Untitled
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2003
middle of nowhere
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by fullefect1
I do not see that many state college applicants getting into top med schools. What do you guys think about this? Is it because most of the lower state school applicants are not getting the high MCAT scores, or are the top schools biased about the state colleges average SAT scores?

When I say state school, I am not talking about the states major university, I am speaking of just any old state college.

I go to a no name state school, and I have not received any acceptances from top medical schools, although I'm on a couple waitlists and also waiting to hear post-interview from a couple more. I definitely got some good interviews, but it may be a few months to see if I get accepted or not. I don't think my school hurt my application too much, but it's really impossible to know for sure.

I think it's ridiculous to choose applicants based on their undergrad institution. I know a guy that went to my school who is now at WashU and is practically at the top of his class. It's what you can do, not where you went to school, that should matter.

efex101

attending
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2002
MN
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
This did not affect my application at all, I go to a no-name small school in the South received interviews from top schools and was accepted to various.

Lochmoor

15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2003
Austin, TX
Status (Visible)
I agree with clowne. I think with a large state school, you can very easily get the perception that top schools do not accept many from state schools. With so many students, it's hard to know everyone that is premed and only a few get into to top schools. This is just speculation on my part, I went to a good undergrad. Despite many of my friends and acquantances getting into med school, I only know of ~10 that got into a top 10 school and only 3 that got into a top 5 school.

I think the region of you undergrad plays a big part in where you get in. i.e. I think east coast grads get into east coast schools easier than grads from midwest.

spaz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
i met an ob/gyn who went to cal state and went to harvard med.

meanderson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2003
Status (Visible)
I don't there is a whole lot of bias. I just think students who go to top undergrad schools are more likely to

1) have a big mcat score
2) want to choose a top 20 med school over their state school

People who are top students in high school don't typically choose to go to an unranked state school for undergrad and then a top medical school over their state medical school. Part of it is also self selection.

I don't have great numbers, went to Valdosta State University, and got into one top 20 school. I only applied to two, however. Didn't apply to any schools in the top 10. So I don't think it hurts that much, if any.

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by celticmists18
I went to the University of California, San Diego and will be starting at Jefferson MC this fall (a med school that I consider to be very good). I interviewed at Drexel, Temple, Wake Forest and Georgetown. I really don't think your info is accurate. Many of my friends and fellow grads have been accepted to very good med schools (ie UCSF, UCSD). Though what you consider a good school (ie big name) may not be what I consider a good school.

I wouldn't categorize UCSD into "any old state college."

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.