state school undergrad + med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stryk3r

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I guess I'll make my first post on the pre-allo forum, as opposed to lurking =)

Now, this may or may not have been answered, so here goes nothing:

My friend is going to be a junior next year with a BCPM GPA of a 4.0 and an overall GPA of 4.0, majoring in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, and a minor in Political Science: Int'l Relations. He will be taking the MCAT next year as well, and judging from his previous scores, I am assuming that he scores a 30, if not better.

He goes to UMass, which def. doesn't have a huge prestige factor, so how will this affect his chances of going to a Top 10 Medical School? According to him, these kinds of med schools dont give interviews to graduates of huge state schools, so I don't know what to tell him...

EC's - EMT B, Volunteering, the usuals..I suppose...those will be kept up..

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so I guess I'll make my first post on the pre-allo forum, as opposed to lurking =)

My friend is going to be a junior next year with a BCPM GPA of a 4.0 and an overall GPA of 4.0, majoring in Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, and a minor in Political Science: Int'l Relations. He will be taking the MCAT next year as well, and judging from his previous scores, I am assuming that he scores a 30, if not better.
He goes to UMass, which def. doesn't have a huge prestige factor, so how will this affect his chances of going to a Top 10 Medical School? According to him, these kinds of med schools dont give interviews to graduates of huge state schools, so I don't know what to tell him...

What previous scores are you judging from? Tell your "friend" to take the MCAT, then buy the MSAR, apply to schools that fall into an acceptable range based on the stats of matriculant at that particular school, and be ready for a bumpy and unexpected ride.

I'll leave the sarcasm aside, I've done enough of that today.

See post here

What previous scores are you judging from? Tell your "friend" to take the MCAT, then buy the MSAR, apply to schools that fall into an acceptable range based on the stats of matriculant at that particular school, and be ready for a bumpy and unexpected ride.

I'll leave the sarcasm aside, I've done enough of that today.

See post here

Solid advice. And haha, who honestly gets on SDN and posts on behalf of their friends?

LOL, come on...... :lol:

Members don't see this ad :)
Solid advice. And haha, who honestly gets on SDN and posts on behalf of their friends?

LOL, come on...... :lol:

with a 30, he'll be borderline for acceptance anywhere, not just top 10s...

It's all about the numbers, don't let anybody tell you different. I went to UMass for undergrad, and knew quite a few gifted kids who went off to top schools (e.g.: WUSTL). What did they have going for them? Well, high MCAT scores and stellar GPAs.

I didn't get much love from the Top 10's, despite having a 35 on the MCAT, because of a low GPA (which, of course, is 99% my own damn fault). Had I maintained a solid GPA, I'm confident that I would have as much of a chance at the Top 10's coming from UMass as I would from any other accredited school.

I am currently a UMass student, and I don't feel that it hurt me during interviews. I got interview invites from 80% of the schools I applied to, and some of my interviewers actually liked the fact that I wasn't just another kid from an ivy league or other "top tier" university. I'm also an EMT-B here, so I probably even know you/your "friend." However, getting a good MCAT score is probably more important because a high GPA at UMass may not be as impressive as a high GPA at an elite school. If you want, PM me and I can give you more info about going to med school from UMass. Oh, and P.S. I got in and will most likely be going to the same school as Schaden Freud (Tufts), so it's far from impossible as a UMass grad.

If your friend is dead set on a top 10 school that 30 on the MCAT will hurt him more than his undergrad.

It's all about the numbers, don't let anybody tell you different. I went to UMass for undergrad, and knew quite a few gifted kids who went off to top schools (e.g.: WUSTL). What did they have going for them? Well, high MCAT scores and stellar GPAs.

I didn't get much love from the Top 10's, despite having a 35 on the MCAT, because of a low GPA (which, of course, is 99% my own damn fault). Had I maintained a solid GPA, I'm confident that I would have as much of a chance at the Top 10's coming from UMass as I would from any other accredited school.

that's because it's WUSTL!!!!
they're well known to be the biggest MCAT ****** around.

In medical school admission process, no one's truly competitive enough to get into medical school.

Your "friend" should talk to his premed counselor, who probably has an idea of where graduates from UMass go every year.

I went to Univ of Florida and had a 3.98gpa and a 36 MCAT. I got an interview at Columbia which has a reputation for caring a lot about an applicant's school pedigree. The only other top ten I applied to I did not get an interview (Harvard).

If your "friend" rocks the MCAT, he should be okay provided that he's got the other premed stuff like volunteering, etc.