State School Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Curt1418

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello....I am a premedical student at a small state school in massachusetts. I elected to go here with the idea of saving money for medical school. However, I have heard rumors that my degree from a state college will hurt me during the medical school application process. Does anyone think that this is correct? Should I be looking to transfer to a private school??

Members don't see this ad.

Hello....I am a premedical student at a small state school in massachusetts. I elected to go here with the idea of saving money for medical school. However, I have heard rumors that my degree from a state college will hurt me during the medical school application process. Does anyone think that this is correct? Should I be looking to transfer to a private school??

It will hurt you somewhat, because they do weigh academic reputation. Of course, they don't weigh it nearly as importantly as GPA and MCAT numbers. If you manage to rock your small state school, get a 3.8 and a high MCAT scores, you'll be in better shape than someone who went to a school with a better academic reputation who got a 3.0.

So, the point is...ROCK your undergraduate school and the MCAT, and then it won't matter where you went to school.

it wont really "hurt" you....it just won't "help". Just do well, and you'll be fine. Don't worry about this.

Members don't see this ad :)

This depends on where you want to go. Some top schools (*cough Santford cough*) are famous for really putting a focus on where you did your undergrad. Other top schools (*cough Wash U cough*) are number-****** who focus more on high GPA and MCAT scores.

The bottom line is that, in a dream scenario, you want to be getting high numbers from a top-ranked undergrad school. But I'm not convinced that it's necessary (unless you're dead set on Stanford, in which case you should prepare your transfer papers post haste :laugh: ). Rather, focus on the Pre-Med Trinity of (1) high numbers for your overall GPA, science GPA and MCAT, (2) clinical experience, and (3) research.

That having been said, if your current school does not offer much in the way of student research, and you're aiming for a Research Top 50 school, you might have a problem. Undergrad reserach is fast becomming de rigeur at many places. Thus, if you have no/very limited access to research, transferring might well be your best bet.

Unless there are specific reasons why you're unhappy at your current school, don't transfer. It won't be worth it.

Unless there are specific reasons why you're unhappy at your current school, don't transfer. It won't be worth it.

Agreed, as long as you are happy and succeeding academically, then there is no reason to transfer. Also, the issue of one's undergraduate school in the admissions process is not public vs. private, but rather elite vs. not so hot