State School Vs. Mid Tier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr_Dunder

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am lucky enough to have an acceptance to the University of Kansas which is my home state. I also have an acceptance to Creighton University. However, I am still receiving interview offers and I was wondering if it would be worth it to accept them and pay the out of state tuition if I were to be accepted. I have interview offers currently from Hawaii, which I already know will not be worth the OOS cost, as well as Wayne State.

If I were to get some more interview offers from some more higher ranked schools such as Iowa, Cincinnati or MCW, would these be worth looking into if I am wanting to specialize? Or should I take the in state tuition at Kansas, which i believe to be lower mid tier. I just never read about University of Kansas on here so I do not know its reputation nationally! Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would start by determining where you will be happiest IMO. There’s no point in being miserable for 4 years just to save money. Kansas is a fine school that will give you fine education. Personally, I think the education and reputation difference between Kansas and Hawaii/Wayne do not justify the cost difference.

There could be a slight benefit for some of the higher ranked schools, but by no means will Kansas hold you back. You can study well and match well from any school.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're determined to specialize into something competitive it might be worth it to interview at these other places you mentioned since U Kansas doesn't seem to match a lot of people into the most competitive specialties, really only a handful.
http://www.kumc.edu/Documents/osa/2018 all campus Match Day list.pdf

That being said being competitive for residency is mostly the work you put in and you'll still be well equipped to be a physician. Another factor to look into what research opportunities are at that institution also. You could also do away research at another institution during summer after 1st year if it doesn't seem promising at your home institution.

But isn't it late in the application cycle to be receiving interview invites still? When is the deadline to accept? As someone admittedly not gunning for a competitive field I would probably accept U Kansas if I were in your position. State school was my #1 because I want to minimize how much in loans I take out & have mostly always been interested in primary care / non surgical specialties.

Reactions: 1 user
If I were to get some more interview offers from some more higher ranked schools such as Iowa, Cincinnati or MCW, would these be worth looking into if I am wanting to specialize? Or should I take the in state tuition at Kansas, which i believe to be lower mid tier. I just never read about University of Kansas on here so I do not know its reputation nationally! Thank you in advance!

KUMC has 22 residencies and many more fellowship programs. They range from family medicine to dermatology, orthopedics, plastic surgery, and radiation oncology. 2018 NIH awards totaled $58.7 million. If you can't be successful there then the problem isn't the institution.

Ignore match lists, they tell you more about what people wanted than what they theoretically could have gotten.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When you reach 40-70 ranking tier differences are just a wash. Go to the cheapest school or make sure the school has a home program you are interested in.

If you get II's from much better schools I would attend them and see what sort of financial aid you get at the end of the day and then make the decision.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol the KU match list says that someone matched to Anesthesiology at the University of Pennsylvania- located in Pittsburgh, PA?? Pretty sure those are two different schools

Reactions: 1 user
If you're determined to specialize into something competitive it might be worth it to interview at these other places you mentioned since U Kansas doesn't seem to match a lot of people into the most competitive specialties, really only a handful.
http://www.kumc.edu/Documents/osa/2018 all campus Match Day list.pdf

That being said being competitive for residency is mostly the work you put in and you'll still be well equipped to be a physician. Another factor to look into what research opportunities are at that institution also. You could also do away research at another institution during summer after 1st year if it doesn't seem promising at your home institution.

But isn't it late in the application cycle to be receiving interview invites still? When is the deadline to accept? As someone admittedly not gunning for a competitive field I would probably accept U Kansas if I were in your position. State school was my #1 because I want to minimize how much in loans I take out & have mostly always been interested in primary care / non surgical specialties.

That list is more than respectable.

Full disclosure...I had an entire answer typed out on why I would choose Kansas over the other mid-tier schools you listed.

However...after researching more into the schools you listed, I definitely think I would wait and see if you get interviews before solidifying anything (withdrawing). Those schools (e.g. Cincy) just have a stronger match list overall...not only in specialties but also the caliber of programs. For example, after looking through Cincy's match list, I realized its pretty strong because they connect a lot of students to phenomenal programs in the area (Michigan, Ohio State, Case Western) as well as more nationally than Kansas does.

That being said, if you do well on Step at Kansas, I am sure you can also match into anything you want! If funds are a very serious factor, then go with Kansas and don't look back. I always say that one day we will make money to spend it on what is precious to us...and if you really really want to go to the place that will give you the BEST chance of success....then do it! Accumulating some debt for something that really means a lot to you and will make you happiest is the best kind of debt!

Congrats on the acceptance, you're freaking crushing it!