State school vs. OMM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gthiemecke

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to an in-state, public MD school and a private osteopathic California school. While I like the state school, I am enamored with the osteopathic school because:
1.) It is, after all, osteopathic
2.) California suits my style of living better.
Problem: The average in-debtedness of the in-state school is $70,000. The average in-debtedness for a California school is $180,000. That's 2.6x the debt!

What I would like to know: If there is someone out there, preferably a practicing physician who accepted the larger debt, who could comment on the ability to pay off this debt, unexpected effects it will have on my ability to practice medicine and my lifestyle, and anything else you might want to mention to help me make my decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the state school and save money. It is true that there are unique facets of osteopathic medical training, but being osteopathic is more than having a D.O. after your name. If you wish, although it is difficult and expensive, you can learn OMM on a post-graduate basis as a M.D. through the American Academy of Osteopathy.
http://www.aao.medguide.net/

You might want to calculate how much it would it cost to go through all the OMM training on a post-grad basis (including time away from your practice) and compare it to the cost difference of an M.D. degree. There are M.D.'s out there you OMM (and get paid for it). You might try contacting some of them and asking for their opinions on the issue.

Thank you for your reply...the website was helpful
smile.gif
. However, while I'm doing research on this decision, I want to ask you some more specific questions.

1.) You emphasize the financial aspect over the other two. You commented on a cost-benefit analysis for OMM school vs. state school + post-grad training. However, you didn't mention location. Should location be considered a factor, or will I never see the light of day for the next four years?

2.) Could you provide some examples of how the increased debt load will affect lifestyle? e.g. What is the take home pay for a physician after taxes, after repayment?

3.) Have you spoken with fellow physicians about their debt management? Do you see a difference in the way higher-debt physicians live? What is the overall impact?

THANK YOU!!!!!

PS-clarification on a small point. I am actually waiting for the CA-school letter of acceptance at the present time. I wrote my post a little quicker than I should have. Oops.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 'light of day' is -very- nice during my four years of school in southern CA...

My reply to your group of questions is this:
1. Much like what was said before, "osteopathic thinking" (if there is such a thing) has more to do with your treatment of the patient than it has with DO behind your name or OMM/OMT training. Go to the program that opens doors to post graduate training and opportunity.
2. There is a journal called Medical Economics, that typically discusses issues of money and medicine...look it up regarding wages etc.
3. Debt load certainly plays into decision making for residency/career choices! It is quite ironic that DO schools scream into their students ears "family practice, primary care, family practice!" and yet charge them above $25 grand a year for tuition! That literally forces many students to specialize (to get more money) or moonlight out the ass to get debt under control. $160,000 is a mortage my friend.
4. Don't get caught up in "the philosophy"
of osteopathic medicine PR that is spouted by the AOA. The AOA is the same organization that allows new DO schools to pop-up every 5 to 10 years, but cuts internships yearly, and excommunicates osteopathic students for not doing rotating internships for their PGY-1.
5.Live where you want to live. Where do they train for MS3 and MS4 years? Will the cost of living affect loans? Will you be productive at the school of your choice? Are you from Pig Hollar, KY...I mean, where is your state school?

It is a diffiult decision...both roads are worthwhile, but be willing to deal with the consequences of your decisions.

[This message has been edited by ewagner (edited 12-17-2000).]