state school vs. private or ivy undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CUskibum

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you think that med schools care whether an applicant has attended a state school or a private high ranked college? Do you think it would wise for someone who has the means to transfer (grades, money, etc.) to an ivy to do so?

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the grades and the cash, just go where ever you like best. Look around and see what suits you. Sure, being an Ivy league grad with a high gpa looks good, as long as you can get that high gpa. If you can't get that high gpa, then it would be better to go somewhere less competitive.

However, I go to a virtually unknown state University, and I've had classmates go to Harvard Law, JHU and Wash U med, so I really think it boils down to your own ambition. Going to an Ivy might help, but it takes more than just that. -Just my observations.:cool:

this might make me unpopular - but i think if you can, it'll behoove you to transfer. i mean props to you if you can actually get in - i know transfer rates at certain schools are like 3-4%.
while its true that you can still go far from a state school, i think you'll find more opportunities at a highly ranked private school. at these schools their tend to be better research opportunities - more breadth, more renowned faculty. the breadth of classes tends to be better, both inside and outside of science. but the coolest thing and honestly one of the scariest is when one day it hits you, that as smart as you think you are - EVERY ONE around you is just as smart, if not smarter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that if you can maintain a high gpa and get a high mcat from an ivy league then you're money......you'll definitley get into a top school...even if your gpa or mcat re a bit lower, you'll prolly get some good interviews at some top schools cause of ivy league school.....if you got to a state school, you MUST get a high gpa and mcat to get even an interivew at a top school...i go to a no name small private school that was not ranked til this year (yeah we're 4th tier) but I have gotten interivews at top programs, but that's only because of my mcat and gpa.......people from my school with 0.3 points less gpa and 5 -7 poitns less mcats, are getting slammed by tier 1 med schools.......i can only attribute that to beign from a small private U........remember get a high gpa and mcat anywhere you go and you'l get in where you want...........but if you do it at an ivy, you really will get in whereever you want....

nero

If you do well at a well known ivy then it will carry more weight than a state school.

Do you have any other motivating factors for transfering to an ivy? If your sole motivation is to look better on your apps, I would think twice. There is more to undergrad than constructing a resume. If however you don't like the school you're at and think you would be happier at the ivy you're considering then by all means transfer.

Try to do the things you want to do rather than what you think the adcoms will like.

CUskibum,
Based on your SDN name, I am pretty sure I attended the school you are currently attending. ;)

I applied to MD/PhD programs and from the feedback I have received, the MCDB or Biochem depts at CU are widely known to have rigorous undergrad programs and a solid GPA in one of those majors looks great. Of course, not every member of every adcom at every med school will know this...

I don't know what your interests are, but there are some fantastic people at CU doing great research. Get involved with that and your situation will improve even further. If you do well at CU, you will have no problem getting into medical school. Stay where you think you will be happiest, don't transfer only because you *think* an adcom will be impressed by an ivy name. If you do transfer, you will be asked "why?" Make sure you have an answer for this that goes beyond..."I thought a more prestigious name would impress an adcom and I would get into medical school, no problem."

Take it from someone who moved from sunny, beautiful Colorado to the gray, cold east coast...stay at CU!

PM me if you have any questions, I seriously considered doing exactly the same thing you are during my sophomore year and am very glad I did not.

Stay at your state school. Having attended a state school for undergrad and an expensive, high tier private for my masters, I can say that it is really not worth the cost. Sure the facilities are better and the premed advising is a little better too. But overally, my friends from my state university did very well when the applied to medical school.

If you are really at CU, then you are really crazy for moving to a private. Who wants to leave CO?

Study for the MCAT get a high GPA, and do interesting, compassionate things and you won't have a problem.

Originally posted by CUskibum
do you think that med schools care whether an applicant has attended a state school or a private high ranked college? Do you think it would wise for someone who has the means to transfer (grades, money, etc.) to an ivy to do so?

I'm going to try to answer the questions that you've asked and stay away from the gravy...

now... do med schools care whether an applicant has attended a state/private school? Generally, the answer is NO. (but then again, it depends on the medical school...) Most schools will take a lot of applicants from all kinds of schools, not just ivy's...

for q#2... if you want to transfer, what are your real reasons? Do you want more of a challenge? are you not happy at your state school...? if you arent happy, then you've answered your own question, but if it's something else, pls do share!

One other reason for transferring would be for my major. I am interested in bioengineering but there is no major for that here. I am doing chem E. right now with the bio option and it is similar, but not the same degree. Other than that I don't see a real reason to transfer if a have a good shot at medical school from a state school. Thanks for everyone's advice.

throughout this process i have strongly believed that going to top schools would help me out. at first i wasn't getting any interviews b/c of my low mcat, but they are finally rolling in! had i gone to lesser known schools i really doubt i would have gotten 8 interview invitations, many of which were from reputable schools.
that being said, it is definitely possible to get into great med schools no matter where you go. but, i firmly believe that if they have doubt about a candidate's abilities (e.g. low mcat or low gpa), the reputation of the school they went to will factor into things.
if i were you i wouldn't transfer, because you will probably be be fine where you are if you have good numbers and experiences. but i do believe that going to a state school, getting good grades, but not doing well on the mcat will hurt you. so study hard for the mcat!