State Schools and Residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.iz-n

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in Southern Illinois Carbondale (SIU) School of Medicine, but I am not sure if I qualify to apply. It says they only take Illinois residents (or I should say a preference for Illinois residents). Do you think I should take a shot if I am from St. Louis, MO (2 hours away, really!). I don't think me living in Chicago for over 1 year would count me as an Illinois resident since I just moved back to STL.

So how do these state schools rate in terms of accepting out-of-state students? I know the numbers are low, but how are the odds of getting into a state school somewhere else where you are NOT a resident?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of state schools are pretty friendly to out of staters--usually around 40-50% or so! It's like that for Penn State and Iowa at least. Also, being an Illinois resident, I think SIU is very wary of accepting OOS students (usually they only take a couple per class) because their mission is to train physician who will serve central/southern Illinois. I would take a shot and apply if you can show that you are dedicated to the cause, have connections in IL, etc, but again, they're very strict with OOSers so be sure to apply to more schools than just SIU. Good luck! :)