State taxes on stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freestl8

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the deal with taxes? We pay federal taxes on the HPSP scholarship money on every pay stub. I have been paying state taxes also based on the W-2 type form I get at year's end. I have tried to change my state of residency with several HPSP and payroll offices for Air Force. My current state is Florida- no income tax- but they still have me as MI which wants a big ol' wad of money at tax time. Any suggestions on people to contact?

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the deal with taxes? We pay federal taxes on the HPSP scholarship money on every pay stub. I have been paying state taxes also based on the W-2 type form I get at year's end. I have tried to change my state of residency with several HPSP and payroll offices for Air Force. My current state is Florida- no income tax- but they still have me as MI which wants a big ol' wad of money at tax time. Any suggestions on people to contact?

Have you filled out a state of residency form? The exact number of the form is written on each pay stub towards the bottom. I printed one out, and sent it in and my state of residency changed by the next pay stub.

i always found this to be unfair regarding the stipend. That the feds and states taxed it. Its meant to defray costs associated with med school. Now if you went to school in Omaha, I would say its fair to be taxed over the cost of living (e.g. profit from the stipend). Vs NYC where the stipend doesnt cover the cost of living! So I ended up paying taxes, and taking out a loan!

I know it didn't answer your question, but it was sweet to vent...

Members don't see this ad :)
I have some questions about this too. I am from a non state tax state but am in med school in a state with tax. I don't pay state tax on my stipend, since my state of residence is where I grew up. However, my school gives me a little scholarship money on top of my stipend. I don't pay state tax on that, since I consider myself a resident of my old tax free state, and its not like I took a job where I go to school. However, I have registered my car and registered to vote where I go to school. Could my med school state come after me looking for some money?

Hypothetically, if I took a job during school, would I have to pay state tax where I currently live, or do I count as "out of state" based on my military status?

I have some questions about this too. I am from a non state tax state but am in med school in a state with tax. I don't pay state tax on my stipend, since my state of residence is where I grew up. However, my school gives me a little scholarship money on top of my stipend. I don't pay state tax on that, since I consider myself a resident of my old tax free state, and its not like I took a job where I go to school. However, I have registered my car and registered to vote where I go to school. Could my med school state come after me looking for some money?

Hypothetically, if I took a job during school, would I have to pay state tax where I currently live, or do I count as "out of state" based on my military status?

If you registered to vote in the school state, they can reasonably declare you a resident and demand taxes.

If you registered to vote in the school state, they can reasonably declare you a resident and demand taxes.

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this was the best one I could find on the topic.

So, as long as I stay registered to vote in my last state (with much lower taxes), but attend and live in another state where I go to school, I should be able to maintain my previous state's residence for tax purposes while in HPSP?

Does this change if I buy a house or my spouse works in the new state?

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but this was the best one I could find on the topic.

So, as long as I stay registered to vote in my last state (with much lower taxes), but attend and live in another state where I go to school, I should be able to maintain my previous state's residence for tax purposes while in HPSP?

Does this change if I buy a house or my spouse works in the new state?

Keep your voter registration and drivers license and you should be good to go.