state vs. out of state school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emoney182

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you really like out of state schools better, but the instate is significantly cheaper, which is the best thing to do? And also, if you do go to a state school, is it most likely that you will do your residency there?

Members don't see this ad.

i chose an out of state school over an instate school.

as of right now (im a second year), id have gone instate. Not sure how the rest of the time is going to pan out.

Do you think you could elaborate on the reasons you would have liked to go in-state?

(i am having this dilemma as well. I really liked an OOS school, but it's $20,000 more per year!!!)

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
family lives in the same city, born and raised there as well. cost is another obvious benefit, but it just seems like the rotations would not have much to offer

If you really like out of state schools better, but the instate is significantly cheaper, which is the best thing to do? And also, if you do go to a state school, is it most likely that you will do your residency there?

If I had that choice, I will pick the cheaper of the two. You can do residency at any place you like as long as you do well in medical school.

We had a presentation from the loan people, and they encouraged us to try and live on less than your total cost of education because a little bit now can add up to a lot over the repayment of your loan. For example, if your prinicipal amount after 4 years is $200,000.00 then you will actually repay 1/2 a million dollars if you pay off on a 25 year schedule (300 payments of $1660). However, if you borrow just $5,000 less each year, you will save about $60,000 in repayment. To me, that's a big difference.

for sure go cheaper

KCUMB is pretty expensive but the impression they give off is that you get more for your dollar.

Does the type of training really matter THAT much? Or do you think all DO schools should be good enough to make you into a great doctor?