State vs Private

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YungBrev

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior, with a cGPA around 3.3, hopefully higher after this semester, and had a few questions about where to apply? I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but with my current GPA, I definitely won't have a competitive application by any means. So what are some general thoughts about applying to med schools? I have heard people say don't apply to out of state schools if your app isn't top notch, but i have also found some out of state schools that have a lower average cGPA.

Basically I need some feedback concerning if ALL state med schools disregard most out-of-state applicants, if not, what are some well known med schools for taking lots of out of state applicants? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

OOS PRIVATE schools will be more feasible for you than the public schools. The latter favor the home team. VCU and U VT are the only schools that don't favor in-state applicants, and have lower competitive floors. But if you have a 3.3, I can't recommend applying to them. You're fine for any DO school.

I'm a junior, with a cGPA around 3.3, hopefully higher after this semester, and had a few questions about where to apply? I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but with my current GPA, I definitely won't have a competitive application by any means. So what are some general thoughts about applying to med schools? I have heard people say don't apply to out of state schools if your app isn't top notch, but i have also found some out of state schools that have a lower average cGPA.

Basically I need some feedback concerning if ALL state med schools disregard most out-of-state applicants, if not, what are some well known med schools for taking lots of out of state applicants? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply both. Most DO schools are private (but not all, however). Your app should focus on DO with a 3.3 GPA: you need DO shadowing and a DO LOR.

OOS PRIVATE schools will be more feasible for you than the public schools. The latter favor the home team. VCU and U VT are the only schools that don't favor in-state applicants, and have lower competitive floors. But if you have a 3.3, I can't recommend applying to them. You're fine for any DO school.

Do you mean UVM? They definitely favor in-state but because they have such a low number apply they have to interview a large number of OOS applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
Noted and logged.

Sorry, that's just incorrect. UVM is the abbreviation for the University of Vermont: http://www.uvm.edu/medicine/

If you click around the site you'll see that they refer to themselves as 'UVM' numerous times.

I've never heard it called U VT and I'm from Vermont :D

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you! I appreciate all of the feedback!