State vs. Private???

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by rangers1, Apr 28, 2000.

1. rangers1

rangers1 Member
    10+ Year Member

Looking for advise on state schools versus Private schools. In this specific case, the two New Jersey schools, Robert Wood Johnson and New Jersey Med, versus Boston University. Is the extra cost of the bigger name school worth it?

Any advice from those who have been faced with a similar situation, students from either school or anyone else with an opinion, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. turtleboard

turtleboard SDN Advisor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    All three of your choices are well-respected medical schools and have good hospital facilities. Not all public medical schools are created equal. The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences doesn't compare with UCLA, but UMDNJ's two campuses have a good profile.

In any event, determine what you ultimately want to do in medicine, and where you'd rather be. Do you want to live in Newark, NJ (car-jacking capital of the world) for the next four years? How about the sleepy town of Piscataway, NJ?

Is money an issue? You mentioned it, so it may very well be. The extra-cost for the Boston University name, which may be better received nationally than UMDNJ, might pay for itself later. On the other hand, being relatively debt free at a state-supported medical school and watching your friends at private institutions struggle over loan payback while you're a resident may be pretty amusing.

I'm patiently waiting for that day. [​IMG]

Tim of (the only state medical school in) New York City.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Carbon Klein

Carbon Klein Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

If I had that choice (and what a wonderful choice!), I'd pick Boston first and RWJ next. I worked with Rutgers students at St Michael's in Newark, NJ and I'll tell you that it's not a very nice place to be nor were the students terribly happy. But that's just one experience.

------------------

4. rangers1

rangers1 Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks to you both very much for your insight. I'd be greatful for additional opinions. Thanks