Statement of Purpose and Career goals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sagupto

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum. I was wondering if someone could help me have some ideas on how to write the Statement of Purpose and Career Goals for applying to PhD in Biomedical Sciences such as Immunology or Physiology.

I am an Indian student currently pursuing my MD in General
Medicine at the University of Medicine and Pharmacy, "Victor Babes",
Timisoara, Romania and is in the final year of my 6 years of study
here. I will be graduating in October 2005.I want to pursue reasearch in the above fields, which is my sole objective right now.

I am supposed send to some of the places where I intend to apply a pre-application which also necessitates SOP and it would be greatly helpful if someone with similar intentsion and as mine could guide me.

Thanks in advance,
sagupto

Members don't see this ad.

are you applying to phd programs in the u.s., or elsewhere?

Yeah I am applying for PhD program in Biomedical Sciences in US Universities.....

Hi everyone,
I would like to introduce myself to this forum.

I am an Indian student currently pursuing my MD in General Medicine at the University of Medicine and Pharmacy, "Victor Babes",Timisoara, Romania and is in the final year of my 6 years of study here. I will be graduating in October 2005 and would like to pursue research as my career after I finish. I wish to join the fall semester of 2006.

I have maintained a general aggregate of 85.2% (I guess thats 3.4 on a 4 scale) throughout my study in Romania.

I have worked for small stretch of periods in different departments such as Biochemistry, Physiology and Immunology for 3 to 4 months each under the professors, assisted them in their research and written 2 peer reviewd papers during mu 2nd,3rd and fifth years. Right now I am working under the Head of Department of Physiology/Immunology on "Dendritic Cell" research as part of a one year curriculum requirement, as per the system in Romania, and would be publishing my paper in September 2005.

I have yet to take the GRE and TOEFL in July 2005.

Being not fully aware of the system in the US, it makes things a bit difficult for me to grasp the admission process and requirements out there.

I would be greatly obliged if someone in the field or with similar intensions as mine could guide me. My querries are as follows:
1. what are my chances to get an admission?
2. If it would be wise to apply to the top-most Universities in the field of Biomedical Sciences.
3. my personal Choices are Johns Hopkins,Ann Arbor,UTH GSBS and BCM Houston. How are they ranked in terms of applied-accepted ratio for foreign nationals.Do you suggest any others?
4.Would a satisfactory score in the GRE would ruin my chances?
5.I am still struggling with the content of SOP.Can anyone throw some light on it..

I would like to get in touch with someone who could guide me through.

Thanking you all.