Statement of research interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanPsychGirl

B.Sc. 2010 grad
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

Trying to polish my statement of research interest, but I feel like it sounds too much like a story (i.e. this research really motivated me to pursue X, so I sought work in lab studying X, yadda yadda yadda). Is it supposed to be more of a 'fact-based' piece? (i.e. while working at this lab, my tasks were X, Y, Z; the research I worked on was investigating ________, etc.)

The application I'm currently working on doesn't provide any guidance other than to say that it should not exceed 1200 words :(. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

that's a good question. i feel like mine is more fact-based...but i did try to put some of my ideas and all into it, too. i would try to combine the two types.

and unless they tell me what they want in the statements, i put an intro, then discuss my research and clinical experiences, then pention the POIs, and conclude it

i'm interested in other ppl's methods of writing these...

My statement put the "personal" in personal statement and I got great feedback on my ps last year (and many interviews/several offers) so I'm inclined to recommend that for people. But I know other successful applicants who did not do this, so who knows. But yeah, mine followed a format more similar to the first one.

Members don't see this ad :)
i really tried to balance it this year... i had facts: my research interests, research experience. I got more personal when trying to talk about matches with POIs and I also really explained how I could expand on some of the work they had already done.

unless they tell me what they want in the statements, i put an intro, then discuss my research and clinical experiences, then pention the POIs, and conclude it

i'm interested in other ppl's methods of writing these...

That's exactly the format mine have been in. :)