Other Staten Island University Hospital IM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quee123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I got an interview invite at SIUH and I accepted it. In preparation for my interview, I came across many reviews on SDN and various websites stating to stay away from this hospital. The posts are from 2007, 2011 are back and I was wondering if anyone can shine light on the current status of the hospital-teaching, resident hours & learning atmosphere. This is my first interview, so if anything it will be a good practice interview.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Bump.

Any info about this program would be great!

Thanks

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I did rotations here during third and fourth year. I think it depends what you are looking for in your residency. Its a community hospital with academic affiliation. Theres ample opportunity for research and has many of the IM fellowships (cards, GI, hem/onc, nephro, pulm/cc) except rheum and I think endocrine. The attendings I worked with in the IM dept were all great, loved to teach and interact with the residents. Great residents that really like to hang out with each other- mix of mostly IMG, caribbean grads, DO for the most part with some AMG mixed in. Residents are all pretty happy. Large size of program seemed to make it easy for them to switch schedules as needed (from what I saw as a student). Does not seem to have a malignant on call schedule what so ever. Downsides- it was paper charts still when I was there but I think they switched to sunrise EMR in december. IM tends to get dumped on by the other residency programs. Also has a fair share of "Scut", but not as bad as other NYC programs (i.e. you will do blood draws, IVs, and blood cultures/abgs). Staten Island location is either a plus or minus depending on you- if you're not familiar with staten island its kind of a suburban location, not much to do in general but its only about 45 min / 1 hr to manhattan for when you're off. Theres some decent restaurants - mostly italian, but otherwise its an okay location and the patient population has a lot of drug seekers as the opioid crisis is big there. Also the population is very diverse both in SES and ethnicity and you will see a broad range of pathology.

Reactions: 1 user
I did rotations here during third and fourth year. I think it depends what you are looking for in your residency. Its a community hospital with academic affiliation. Theres ample opportunity for research and has many of the IM fellowships (cards, GI, hem/onc, nephro, pulm/cc) except rheum and I think endocrine. The attendings I worked with in the IM dept were all great, loved to teach and interact with the residents. Great residents that really like to hang out with each other- mix of mostly IMG, caribbean grads, DO for the most part with some AMG mixed in. Residents are all pretty happy. Large size of program seemed to make it easy for them to switch schedules as needed (from what I saw as a student). Does not seem to have a malignant on call schedule what so ever. Downsides- it was paper charts still when I was there but I think they switched to sunrise EMR in december. IM tends to get dumped on by the other residency programs. Also has a fair share of "Scut", but not as bad as other NYC programs (i.e. you will do blood draws, IVs, and blood cultures/abgs). Staten Island location is either a plus or minus depending on you- if you're not familiar with staten island its kind of a suburban location, not much to do in general but its only about 45 min / 1 hr to manhattan for when you're off. Theres some decent restaurants - mostly italian, but otherwise its an okay location and the patient population has a lot of drug seekers as the opioid crisis is big there. Also the population is very diverse both in SES and ethnicity and you will see a broad range of pathology.

Thanks, appreciate feedback. It's tough to get decent up-to-date reviews on less popular programs.