States where Pharmacists can Prescribe?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smsc2009

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've searched the internet and only get random answers. I was hoping somebody could give me a list of states that allow Pharmacists to write prescriptions.

Members don't see this ad.

I've searched the internet and only get random answers. I was hoping somebody could give me a list of states that allow Pharmacists to write prescriptions.
here is one
Washington
But i am not sure what medications they can prescribe. If is only Emergency Contraceptive. Then its a joke. Lol

I would appreciate if anyone can give few lists of med. that a pharmacist can prescribe along with the prescriptive state.

Utah has a new law as of 2006 and certain maintenance med such as birth control can be prescribed by pharmacists.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to search for collaborative practice agreements.

Pharmacists can not prescribe without restrictions - usually in the form of collaborative practice agreements with physicians or physician groups - or mandated as with Plan B which is now allowed in some states under the age of 18 - again, collaborative practice agreements.

Why would you want to randomly prescribe when you can't diagnose?

I had just heard from somewhere that Pharmacist are now being given permission to prescribe medication in certain states and was wanting more information on it.

Usually under a collaborative practice agreement - anticoagulation clinics, hypertension management, diabetes management, immunizations, emergency contraception, etc...

However, if you can't diagnose an illness, you can't prescribe medication independently. Pharmacists are not trained in diagnosis.

A group of my classmates gave a presentation regarding this topic. I remember they mentioned Florida and New York. Again I am NOT talking about collaborative agreement. And, of course, they are not allowed to prescribe all medications.

A group of my classmates gave a presentation regarding this topic. I remember they mentioned Florida and New York. Again I am NOT talking about collaborative agreement. And, of course, they are not allowed to prescribe all medications.

I thought a NY pharmacist came on here frustrated since he/she couldn't even write a chart order????

It is very limited in Florida and no one bothers with it. The big one is Transderm Scop. People want their motion sickness patch before they go on a cruise. The pharmacy has to file a bunch of paper work to be able to prescribe and it's a big headache. I haven't found one that actual does it. I suppose if you are working on a cruise ship, you can prescribe them there.

I did an 8 week rotation at a clinic, where the doctor down the hall would phone up and say "pick a drug for this condition". In most hospitals, there is formulary substitution. For example, an order is written for Nexium but the formulary drug is Protonix. So, you just switch it to Protonix.

If you work at a VA hospital, you have more prescribing priveledges. But, it is still very limited.