States with no state dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sageraeh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was wondering if any of you are residents of states which do not have a state funded/public dental school. Have you guys searched to see if there are agreements with nearby state dental schools to reserve some seats for those who don't have one where they are residents especially for Massachusetts. I have been looking but no luck so far. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I was wondering if any of you are residents of states which do not have a state funded/public dental school. Have you guys searched to see if there are agreements with nearby state dental schools to reserve some seats for those who don't have one where they are residents especially for Massachusetts. I have been looking but no luck so far. Any ideas?

ARIZONA. Both schools are private schools. AZ participates in WICHE, but not a lot of students get accepted to it.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't have any dental schools in Arkansas. We're offered plenty of options with reserved seats at dental schools in neighboring states, though. Most people go to UT-Memphis since we have the most seats reserved there. I'm really looking into Baylor, we have a few seats there. There are a lot of dental schools for us to choose from, though, so I'm sure Massachusetts has some sort of deal with nearby dental schools. Just talk to your Pre-dental advisor.

Wisconsin. We only have one private school and no state schools, but Marquette does favor instate applicants over oos. Minnesota takes a lot of Wisconsin students but we don't get reciprocity.

Kansas.

Our residents fight for 6 spots at UMKC. It sucks! They've been wanting to start a dental school at my school (Wichita State University) for quite some time.

Our state has a severe shortage of dentists and the people in charge of the dental board don't even try to contract with other schools...They all tend to their own business and ignore the problem. But that's just state politics. I'll let it go! :D I totally believe everything works out in the end and people are kept happy - for those who really have a passion to practice dentistry.

But at least Hawaii, New Mexico, Arizona, Montana have several dental schools they contract with.

Utah doesn't have a state dental school, or a private one for that matter! But we're getting one, maybe two in the next couple of years. Like we need more dentists here...

Wisconsin. We only have one private school and no state schools, but Marquette does favor instate applicants over oos. Minnesota takes a lot of Wisconsin students but we don't get reciprocity.

Well, marquette only takes 40 WI residents per year.

I'm also a MA resident, and a year ago I had the same question as you. UConn has 3 tuition rates: the CT rate, the New England rate, and the rate for everyone else. If you change your drivers license and everything else to CT, then you can get in-state tuition after a year. But I don't think UConn has a set number of seats reserved for any state (it's a small school).

Here's info on other schools that allow non-residens to get in-state tuition after a year:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=519210

Temple holds 5 seats for Delaware residents each year :)

Utah doesn't have a state dental school, or a private one for that matter! But we're getting one, maybe two in the next couple of years. Like we need more dentists here...

My buddy, who is a second year, mentioned this same thing. Where did you hear that and where can I get more info?

I still have a couple years before applying but would love at least the opportunity to apply to a schoool in Utah and tentatively not have to move my family ;)