madeyedhl

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
MD/PhD Student
what is most commonly used in the states?

i am helping out a professor in korea and he is using R program..

it's free, and it's based on the S program..

just out of curiousity, what statistical program do researchers use in the states?

eagle34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2008
Minnesota
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Depends on how familiar you are with statistics and statistical programming. Many epidemiologists and biostatisticians use SAS, some use SPSS. I think those 2 are the most commonly used. SPSS is easier to use because you need to know how to program in SAS.

go lakers

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
CA
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
SPSS has basic programming/syntax involved too -- but that's what we use.

eagle34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2008
Minnesota
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah, we use SPSS too. I like it more than SAS, it just seems easier to use and more user-friendly.

WellWornLad

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
SAS is the most powerful statistical software out there, and commensurate with that power it is practically impossible to use.

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
SPSS, for all that it's incredibly obnoxious, is actually pretty easy to use compared to some of the alternatives.

SAS is another biggie.

R seems to be growing, and has a TON of open-source modules available, which is perhaps its biggest advantage. If I stop procrastinating, this will be the program I want to learn how to use.

I've seen quite a few papers recently using a program called stata. Haven't tried it. But it seems interesting.

OP
M

madeyedhl

10+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
MD/PhD Student
do you people all learn these from scratch? i have a hard time learning statistics TT second to the programs... which books do you recommend for a total newb?

eagle34

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2008
Minnesota
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you are going to use SPSS, I recommend getting the books by Marija J. Norusis. She has 3 books out about using SPSS 17.0, which explain the theory behind statistics pretty well and then explain how to use that theory in SPSS.

bobdogsam43

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2004
Status
STATA is quite popular in graduate programs as it's powerful and by far the easiest to use.

edfig99

15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2003
NYC
Status
Attending Physician, Academic Administration
sas, spss, stata, R... I've even seen Excel being used.
literally depends on the investigator, what questions are trying to be answered, and what they are trained in/used to.

Mr hawkings

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
We use SIGMA STAT in our lab and sometimes excel for simple quick evaluations.

URHere

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you are doing basic stats, PRISM is probably the most user friendly. If you need detailed ANOVAs, SPSS is better. If you need advanced stats, your best bet is to find software someone has written for MatLab or a similar flexible source.

whatisthis?

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
it depends on how well you know biostat. most biostat phd's use R (which is more research oriented). most biostat masters use SAS because it is easier to use, and a lot of things are built in. SPSS is more for non-stat people. SPSS is fine if you just want to get or do basic stat. hope it helps.
what is most commonly used in the states?

i am helping out a professor in korea and he is using R program..

it's free, and it's based on the S program..

just out of curiousity, what statistical program do researchers use in the states?

papa2two

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
I use JMP. It is made by the same folks that make SAS but is for mac users. It is relatively easy to use but the graphics leave much to be desired.

fMRI

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
MD/PhD Student
Depends on what you are doing...
... and what the PI's preference is.

Do you need something that out-puts great graphics or something powerful to handle masses of data?

SPSS is easy to use, SAS can be a bit of a nightmare as many have said before...

Hint: Read some of the papers by researchers doing similar work -- it usually says "statistical analysis performed with XY software, version ...". It is good practice to include this information somewhere, usually in the "methods" section.