Statistically favored "guess" letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluesTank

Zombie
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is one letter more often used on the MCAT then any other as an answer? I have been guessing A's on my verbal passages when I just dont get to a question at all, and they almost never are right...

What does everyone else use?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, you only have a 25% chance of getting right, so consequently, if you guess all the time, you're gonna only get 25% right. "Almost never right" could easily mean that only 1/4 of your answers are right.

I'm sure the MCAT writers take care to ensure a certain letter does not correspond to the overwhelming majority of correct answers, otherwise the test would be skewed.

The questions are assigned randomly so there will be no statistically favored letter... That being said:

A ALL THE WAY!!!!

I was always taught "A and Away" - if you have no idea and can't eliminate any answers you've probably spent too much time on the question already, so just put the first answer and move on.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget the test is scaled. If suddenly people lucked out with their "A and away" strategy, this would be compensated for with the scaled score.

I don't have any favored letter. I just point and click to the first one that jumps out at me. It's usually a different one every time. I guess it works out pretty well, since I usually get about 30/40 right total...

Don't forget the test is scaled. If suddenly people lucked out with their "A and away" strategy, this would be compensated for with the scaled score.

Yes that is true... but thats assuming that significant amount of people have the "A and Away" strategy... as opposed to every other random guess strategy, I'd be willing to guess there is just as many B'er, C'er and D'ers as there is "A and away"...

Well, you should always be able to eliminate some of the answers.

That said, the MCAT is not supposed to be biased towards any one letter, so if you've narrowed the choices down to "A" and "C" and eliminated "B" and "D", but you've had a lot of "A" answers previously that you're confident about, I'd just go with "C".