Statistics, Mol Bio Requirements? G-Chem=Inorg Chem?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pyra, Jul 26, 2001.

1. pyra

pyra Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I was looking at the requirements for UCLA and it said on the website: "One year of college mathematics to include the study of introductory calculus and statistics"
    Does this mean I have to take statistics? I have already taken 2 years of calculus for my engineering major so would I have to take intro to statistics under the psychology department?

Also, the USC site says one requirement is "one course in Molecular Biology
    (may include: molecular genetics, cell and molecular biology, advanced cell biology or the equivalent)" I took a regular genetics course as well as an advanced genetics course (Genetics of Model Organisms) so what exactly is molecular genetics? So do I have to take molecular bio? (I am not a bio major so I do not have to take this, but I do have to take physiology and biochemistry for my major, bioengineering)

Are there any other schools that require more than the basic science requirements? I plan on applying to CA public schools and out of state private schools.

One last question, Can the Inorganic chemistry requirement always be substituted for General Chemistry? (i.e. Can I use General Chem as a substitute for the schools that require Inorganic Chem)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. C U in MD school

C U in MD school Senior Member

I know about UCLA- the answer is yes, u have to take stat. that is what they told me. sorry about the bad news

4. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Molecular genetics is the study of DNA inheritance on a molecular level. If you went beyond Punnet squares and methods of inheritance, you may have covered it. Your best bet would be to call the USC admissions office at (323) 442-2552. They'll probably ask you to send them the class description so they can see. And they're definitely not busy now, so you might as well.

And your inorganic chem may not cover it, unless if was a year-course. I believe schools require one year of g-chem.

Andrew

5. sc

sc Senior Member

You may want to check about the inorganic chemistry issue. My school is on the quarter system. I took gen chem for the first two terms and then substituted intro to inorganic chem (a higher level course) for the third term of gen chem. This helps fulfill my chemistry minor and am positive (99.99999999% sure) this covers the year of general chemistry.

6. pyra

pyra Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Dude i just called UCLA and the admissions lady seemed really annoyed at me! :(
    She said I have to take statistics eventhough I had courses that covered statistics (in my intro to bioengineering class) And she kept sighing as I asked my admissions questions :( Are these admissions people always right or are they just saying anything to make me stop asking questions?? First she said I needed to take General Bio since I had AP credit even tho I told her I took Upper Division Bio classes like genetics, biochem. And then she changed her mind when I asked her again if I had to do the General Bio sequence even tho I already took Physiology, Cellular Neurobiology?

I am a bioengineering major and will take bioeng lab, I thought this would cover the bio lab requirement? It's practically the same this as the animal physiology lab at UCSD!(We're not even allowed to take animal phys lab if we take bioeng lab) But she said that I had to take a regular bio lab?

7. moo

moo 1K Member

I've also been slightly concerned about the chem issue. My school's chem dept only offers two introductory chem sequences. I took the more rigorous one for those who've had chem in HS. Anyway, the titles of the courses are "STRUCTURAL CHEM" and "GENERAL CHEM." My school doesn't have GChem I and II and only that one course. There is virtually no other chemistry course that I can take that is "General Chem" so I am crossing my fingers that this is ok.

8. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    Okay, now I see you're at UCSD. The stats class (Psych 60) is so incredibly easy. The tests are multiple choice, so not only would you get the req, you'd get an A. I-Chem (I'm presuming 120A?) would be tough if you haven't taken the Chem 6 series. In fact, I think it's a requirement for the class.

Andrew

9. pyra

pyra Senior Member

Attending Physician
    Have you taken 120AB before? I took the Chem 6ABC sequence already and was considering taking Inorganic (since some schools say they require inorganic and not general chem?)

10. kutastha

kutastha 2K Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    I only took 120A, and that was several years ago. The Chem 6 series is what schools ask for when they refer to inorganic chem since G-Chem is I-Chem. The 120A class is just a higher and more involved course. There's no reason for med schools to require students to endure such pain.

Andrew