Statistics ok for non-science faculty letter? Community college letter? Something els

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. H

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, my other post got deleted for some reason.

Basically, is it an ABSOLUTE req. to have a non-science faculty letter? Or can I replace it with say a volunteer supervisor? or statistics?

I mean, will the schools not give u an interview if you don't meet their exact letter. preferences??
thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Each school specifically decides what letters they want. This is NOT something that is in any way whatsoever standardized. Some schools are extremely lax on even the requirements that they actually say they want. Others are so rigid as to throw out the application if it lacks the letters. You're going to have to contact each school directly. I realize this is the answer people get most often and most don't want, but it's the truth.

listen to none; he is right! Most schools have a certain number of letters they require from professors, and they will tell you specifically what number they want from which disciplines. Letters from supervisors, doctors, etc. are generally considered "extra" (Tulane does not accept "extra" letters). And, as I said before in my reply to your deleted post, almost all schools require you to submit a composite committee letter if your undergrad school has a committee, in which case you'd have to find out what the committee will accept in the way of letters.

Members don't see this ad :)
So will getting a letter from my community college teacher work as well?
thanks

Probably, but once again, depends on the school. Some schools just say so many science and so many non-science, usually 2 + 1, or 2 + 2. But some want professors that taught you Bio, Chem, Physics and Humanities (just one school was that specific, I forget which one it was). There is no one answer that is correct for applying to any and all medschools.