Statistics on the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StretchDoe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if we needed to know statistics for the MCAT? Things such as null hypothesis, rejecting or accepting the null hypothesis, p-values, etc.

I was doing a Khan Academy passage and these things came up. It's been a while since I took my stats course.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah we do, in the context of interpreting research results. Like seeing if the results are statistically significant, etc.

Do you have a prep book set? I think each review set has a section dedicated to lab techniques with a mix of stats. It's really nothing too crazy. Mostly the p < .05 being significant and looking for overlapping confidence interval bars. I would go through some of the KA P/S or B/B passages and get a feel for the research type things to interpret.

Reactions: 1 user
There's not really any mathematical statistics on the MCAT. It's basically the level that you would need to know as a bio major reading a paper so knowing what it means when confidence intervals overlap, what a confidence interval is, how to increase statistical power, etc. More concepts as opposed to math (e.g. calculating confidence intervals, Z-scores, t-tests, etc.).