Statistics or Anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused engineer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm in a graduate engineering program and did not study biology for undergrad. I intend to be a physician so next year I'll be applying for medical school.

I have never taken statistics or anatomy and I'm considering adding one to my semester. Which one do you think will be more useful for me to take?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I'm in a graduate engineering program and did not study biology for undergrad. I intend to be a physician so next year I'll be applying for medical school.

I have never taken statistics or anatomy and I'm considering adding one to my semester. Which one do you think will be more useful for me to take?

Stats. By the time you matriculate to med school, you'll have to relearn much of Anatomy.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any undergrad science course will help you for maybe the first few weeks of the first year. We covered my entire undergrad Biochem in 3 weeks, and Micro in like 4 days. It's certainly helpful to have some lectures be review of material you know, but this is incredibly short lived no matter what you take.

Stats will at least give you knowledge of something that med schools don't teach. I'd also recommend some advanced chemistry classes because they don't teach any chemistry, and it can be very helpful for certain subjects (you'll know the why as opposed to just memorizing).

Reactions: 1 user
Statistics, because some schools require it and basic statistics related to the sciences is tested on the MCAT. Anatomy isn't even tested on the MCAT, Human Physiology is. Also anatomy is memorisation, and you'll do plenty of anatomy memorisation in med school.

If stats is required for some schools then yeah I would take stats instead of anatomy. However, I took anatomy and I found that it helped me recognize some terms on the MCAT practice exams so that is a nice bonus. Also anatomy can be good because you'll most likely have an easier time learning it in medical school if you already learned the material before. In the end though the decision is up to you, but after reading what others have to say here.. I would go with saying that stats would be the better choice for you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Stats, not only it's fun, it's required by many schools :)

Thanks for your replies everyone. I did not realize statistics is required at many schools. In my preliminary school search I didn't find it as a requirement for any school. ..
Anyway, I've already taken the MCAT and won't be retaking it. It sounds like anatomy won't be too useful though so I guess I will do stats if I can fit it in.

Anatomy!!

Take anatomy.

Also is there something extra med students learn on top of their textbooks? they arent "2 weeks = 1 year of anatomy" in complexity

Last edited:
Anatomy!!
However, isn't Statistics required by many schools?
He's an engineer so the Stats course will be an easy class for him and he'll fly in it!

One would have to check MSAR. My cool sure doesn't require it
Ah, I see.
Now I'm not even sure if I'm correct .. This all leaves to checking on MSAR.
I just perceived that many schools required it.
Anatomy should be a big plus :D

I would take physiology and stats. Physiology for the mcat and stats to help you read research papers. If I had to choose I would take physiology since my anatomy and physiology class is actually helping a lot for my mcat study.