stats for successful NYCOM applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

basha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow applicants, I just wanted to know from those that got their acceptances already from NYCOM, what ur stats were. Is it what mattered most in ur acceptance, if not, what did. Congrats on ur acceptance, and good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi basha, I interviewed at NYCOM on...december 13, and got the acceptance about two weeks ago.
my GPA is 3.63 and MCAT is 27. I did not, however, have a DO letter of rec, although they say it REALLY helps at NYCOM.

i guess i got the interview b/c of my stats and all other factors that make up my file (jobs held, volunteer work, honor societies, etc.) but i had a really good interview. it was very laid back and i really felt like myself, very comfortable. so, i guess that put the icing on the cake for me.

anyway, i hope that helps. lots of luck to you!

thanks applying, that helped a lot. What did they ask in the interview, anything concerning the diff between DO and MD. Also, what should i do if i only have a 3.45 cum, and 3.4 science.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Basha,
I interviewed at NYCOM on Dec. 14 and received my letter of acceptance 15 days later. I had a GPA of 3.2 and a 27 MCAT. I did have extreme extenuating circumstances to explain my GPA which was documented and placed in my file. They knew all about it when I interviewed and we discussed it at length. So they definately read your file thouroughly. I had lots of long term volunteer work, research, and leadership stuff and I think that helped alot. I had letters from both and MD and a DO sent to them, and they wanted to know all about the DO I spent time with. They really like DO letters.

The interview was really laid back, just like applying said. They were friendly and supportive and the questions all related to ME. They did ask me what I learned from my time with a DO and what I knew about Osteopathic medicine. Other then that, just the ordinary personal interview questions. No drill, no intimidation, they were great.

Oh, they were really big on the "Why NYCOM" thing. You have to know why you want to go to NYCOM and know all about the school. They asked me what I knew about the school and loved that I knew all about them. It's a great school, and their clinical affiliations are second to none. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Maybe I'll see you there next year. Good Luck!!!

Hey applying, have you decided on NYCOM? I'd like to get to know some of my fellow NYCOMers!

Honestly, I am not quite sure yet. so far, i've been accepted to NYCOM and NJ-SOM. i just don't know how to compare the two...i mean, they are such different schools. NYCOM has its awesome affiliations, but NJ-SOM is A LOT cheaper and i really liked the students and the overall atmosphere of the school a lot better, although its a very small school.

anyway, i'm still debating....any input???

so does anybody have a lesser than 3.5 that applyed to nycom and got in. what got u in, if not ur stellar scores on the mcat.

My gpa was 3.35 and I had an MCAT of 29 which NYCOM received after the intertview (27 beforehand). My situation is somewhat different, I recently left podiatry school and decided to change. Most of my interview questions were centered around that decision. I performed pretty well academically at pod school which I believed helped plus the two point bump in my MCAT score. My acceptance did not arrive in two weeks like everyone else who posts here, it was more like 3 1/2 weeks. Not that it matters, I am in and can not wait to start.! Good luck to all who are applying!

how did you guys info abt NYCOM? The website? or did you contact the school to get a catalog?

You could always go to the website and download the catalog but the better choice is to call admissions. It shows that you are interested, really interested. THe more often you contact them, without be overly annoying, the better it is. They want people who are excited about NYCOM. Don't be afraid to show it.