Stats for URMs to Be Competitive for top 20

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrCaliBoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was wondering what stats one should have to be competitive for top 20 schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Chill!!!! You're in great shape :) seriously...I would kill for your GPA haha

https://www.aamc.org/download/321520/data/2012factstable25-5.pdf

^^you ever seen this?

If you break 30 on that MCAT you are in a super elite category of URM applicants...just looking at the people with 3.6+ GPA and 30+ MCAT there were only 1845 of us over a 3 year period...with 1677 getting in (91%)...if you get above a 33 then you are looking at only 835 applicants over 3 years with 784 getting

That means that each year there are only about 278 URM applicants with 3.6+ GPA and 33+ MCAT...you can rest assured that this is more than enough for the top 20 schools (plus state schools that recruit hard and have lower tuition) to basically FIGHT over the top URM students...throw in the fact that you have strong ECs and you're looking at being really competitive at a top 20

Just chilllll and beat the hell out of that MCAT :) and if you break 30 you'll be in great shape, break 33 and you're a shoe in for a top 20 and break 36 and you'll be among the top 100 URM applicants which TRUST me will have schools fighting over you if you apply intelligently with a strong well-rounded app :D

And maybe the amount of URM applications will be low this year and us with lower GPAs will have a chance haha

^^This is a response I gave to an applicant in the 2018ers thread who was concerned about having a 3.7 GPA...there is no real formula for this and there are MANY exceptions to the rule...I know anecdotally of a URM who went to Harvard with a 3.4 and 31 and I know someone at a top 10 with a 3.8 and a 31 and another at a top 20 with a >30...it really depends on the individual, but these are good general ideas

Reactions: 1 user
Oh wow you really knew someone with a 3.4 and 31 mcat? They must have had great ECs

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow you really knew someone with a 3.4 and 31 mcat? They must have had great ECs

Yes. Life story can trump stats some times...especially at a school like Harvard...they can take a few hits and still have high average MCAT scores and GPAs with all of the top applicants they take in

Last edited:
Hey Bro... Are you talking about cGPA or sGPA?
My sGPA is 4.0, cGPA 3.4. My wife pregnancy and 60 hrs/week didn't help my cGPA.By the way, I am preparing for the next cycle: I really believe I can score MCAT>30.
Thanks