PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status
Attending Physician
Wow! 1.2 applicants per spot for derm and rads!? And most competitive is neurosurg and path with 2 applicants per spot.....

Amazing!

kedhegard

15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2003
Durham, NC
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
This can't be right. Why don't the numbers add up? Have that many more spots opened up in the last 10 years? Seriously, am I just stupid or does this not make sense.

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status
Attending Physician
While I know nothing about the military med system, I also think the numbers looks totally off base. Can anyone explain???

kedhegard

15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2003
Durham, NC
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Either there has been a boom in training positions, or somebody killed off about half of last years graduates before they applied.

DrBloodmoney

Pathology
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2002
At a microscope
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
PathOne said:
Wow! 1.2 applicants per spot for derm and rads!? And most competitive is neurosurg and path with 2 applicants per spot.....

Amazing!
That's right baby... pathology is actually desirable in the military. There was 16 applicants for 7 spots. But here's the kicker... and the great thing about the army. The 9 folks who didn't make it into military programs... ALL got deferred spots. You won't catch that happening in the USN.

PathOne

Derminatrix
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2004
Skin City
Status
Attending Physician
DrBloodmoney said:
That's right baby... pathology is actually desirable in the military. There was 16 applicants for 7 spots. But here's the kicker... and the great thing about the army. The 9 folks who didn't make it into military programs... ALL got deferred spots. You won't catch that happening in the USN.
Yeah, AFIP is still cool, although in honesty it can probably no longer be considered a world leader. Still, they work in the only nuclear-resistant bldg in Wash. DC (!)

But what I don't get is that there's no more than max. 2 applicants per spot, and 1.2 applicants for über-competitive residencies like derm and rads?!

kedhegard

15+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2003
Durham, NC
Visit site
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I wrote a program director in the army and asked him to look at that powerpoint. Here is what he had to say:

Thanks for the new URL. That figure reflects that we had 5 people in the field (general medical officers) applying for 4 residency slots. We also had about 15 4th-year students applying for 6 pre-select slots (ie, internships with guarantee* of direct entry into our residency). So the competitive stage now is during one's 4th-year; we starting transitioning to the pre-select system about 2-3 years ago. For the GMO's interested in ****, well, some of them may have found other career paths during their intern year or GMO years and not applied.

So there's a little food for thought.

DrBloodmoney

Pathology
15+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2002
At a microscope
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
PathOne said:
Yeah, AFIP is still cool, although in honesty it can probably no longer be considered a world leader.
They're doing everything they can to stay viable and militarily relevant. They still are a big, big name in pathology. Unfortunately they're undergoing a bit of a transition period in terms of big name staff. A lof of the credible names have left recently which is kind of sad, however, they still have incredible experts there. Plus, they get the best consult cases. Their bone and soft tissue study set is amazing. :love:

Still, they work in the only nuclear-resistant bldg in Wash. DC (!)
Built to withstand a direct hit... but consequently my pager and cell phone get absolutely no reception in there.