Status of Resolution 42

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meliora27

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything on the current status of Resolution 42 in the setting of single accreditation? I was going to call the AOA but was wondering if anyone has heard anything current.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
There was a thread on this in the EM section. As of now, a DO entering ACGME residency you will need to jump through a couple extra hoops to get your license.

Last edited:
There was a thread on this in the EM section. As a DO you will eed to jump through a couple extra hoops to get your license.

I could be wrong, but I think he's trying to ask whether or not the requirement for having an AOA intern year has been removed or whether it is going to be with the merger.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like it has to go away once the merger goes through since there will be no such thing as an AOA TRI.

At the very least, those who start/finish residency after the merger should be able to get a Res 42 you would think without much trouble.

It seems like it has to go away once the merger goes through since there will be no such thing as an AOA TRI.

At the very least, those who start/finish residency after the merger should be able to get a Res 42 you would think without much trouble.
I would place cold hard cash on a bet that any changes made will lag behind merger finalization. Years likely. AOA needs to keep those fees pouring in as long as they can and the resolution 42 basically gets 2 years of fees out of the applicant.

That said, it's ridiculously easy to meet requirements. You go to a conference, fill out an online application, and your PD signs a piece of paper.

Reactions: 1 user
Res. 42 is still around for now, and I'm planning to use it. Post-merger there will still be some programs with osteopathic focus, which will likely fulfill the requirement as well.

It's really up to the individual states (and the state osteopathic boards) to decide whether or not to keep the AOA intern year or equivalent requirement for licensure. From what I've heard, 1 out of the remaining 4 plans to eliminate the requirement, but hasn't yet. PA submitted a proposal that actually sounded like it made the requirement more daunting, but it's unclear whether that will be adopted. Not sure about the status of others.

So the AOA has basically flat out said that it sees Res. 42 being phased out with the merger, but it will continue to approve apps historically for a time.

Yeah, I mean to begin Res. 42 sounds annoying but is apparently extremely easy to get as long as you do the checklist of 3 or so things for it. I imagine it will still be as easy or easier post-merger.

I would place cold hard cash on a bet that any changes made will lag behind merger finalization. Years likely. AOA needs to keep those fees pouring in as long as they can and the resolution 42 basically gets 2 years of fees out of the applicant...

So it doesn't really seem like its the AOA that is pushing to keep the AOA TRI or equivalent intern year requirement. Its the state osteopathic boards that are adament about it. Res. 42 was the AOA's way of making life for DOs that train in ACGME programs easier, by being able to get licensed in the states that held on to the requirement.

...That said, it's ridiculously easy to meet requirements. You go to a conference, fill out an online application, and your PD signs a piece of paper.

Yeah, exactly, I don't see them making it harder.

Resolution 42 isn't a rule/law, its the workaround for state laws that require an AOA approved intern year for liscensure.

Resolution 42 is the AOA's way around the few states that require an AOA intern year for liscensing. Resolution 42 is the means by which DO's who train in an ACGME program can apply to the AOA to count their ACGME intern year as an "AOA equivalent intern year" to bypass the few state laws that require that for DOs. So the AOA can't "get rid of resolution 42" until all states no longer require an "aoa intern year". DO's need Resolution 42 to be able to practice in certain states. I think there are only 3-4 states left with these laws on the books.

So its not up to the AOA. Its up to the few states left with these laws to change their laws.

I do agree though, eventually the resolution will go away because it will be not needed. States can't require an "AOA intern year" once the AOA no longer accredits programs. AOA intern years won't exist, so states would basically be requiring something that doesn't exist for DOs to practice in their state. That would obviously be crazy and naturally the few remaining states that require an "AOA intern year" will have to change their liscensing requirements. But since legislatures never move quickly, its still taking time for the last few states to get rid of these ridiculous laws. Several states that had similar requirements given up these restrictions since the merger. The rest will have to follow suit eventually.

Ironically, these laws are/were generally all in the "DO friendly" states where many/most of the DO residencies were concentrated in. They basically seem to be meant to discourage DOs into going into ACGME residencies. They aren't a means for states to discriminate against DO's, rather they all occured in states where the AOA had power. They are unfortunately a vestige of a time when the AOA was trying to keep its students from fleeing to ACGME programs.

Last edited:
To qualify for Resolution 42, do I need to maintain my AOA membership uninterrupted from now (just before graduation) until whenever during residency I apply for Resolution 42? Or can I just join again when I apply?

I'm a graduating student, supporting a family, and preparing for a very expensive move across the country and the AOA has the nerve to send me an invoice so I can renew my membership, noting that they are making sure AOA Board Certification remains the "board certification of choice" for DOs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

To qualify for Resolution 42, do I need to maintain my AOA membership uninterrupted from now (just before graduation) until whenever during residency I apply for Resolution 42? Or can I just join again when I apply?

I'm a graduating student, supporting a family, and preparing for a very expensive move across the country and the AOA has the nerve to send me an invoice so I can renew my membership, noting that they are making sure AOA Board Certification remains the "board certification of choice" for DOs.

I'm not sure that you have to be a member of the AOA. I could be wrong though. Maybe some of the DO's who went through the process can further elaborate on this.

I'm not sure that you have to be a member of the AOA. I could be wrong though. Maybe some of the DO's who went through the process can further elaborate on this.
I'll check in to that. Any other reason I might need to maintain my membership? I don't need it to take level 3 do I?

According to the AOA website you have to be an AOA member in good standing to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Word to the wise, if you go into an acgme residency, you better do that requirement presentation in your intern year and have the program coordinator apply for the resolution. If you don't, you'll won't be able to practice in FL, MI, PA without jumping through way more hoops than the initial presentation. Those states have lots of post residency fellowships and jobs that you might not qualify for. I speak with experience because while I did the requirement intern year, I know some people that didn't and they're having issues. Just do it.

Does anyone know if your ACGME IM intern year has to meet the requirements for IM specifically, or can they just meet the requirements for a TRI year? TRI year requirements are much more easily obtained.

I hope the four states aren't just sitting on this. They have to change the language or basically no DO will be able to become licensed in those states in the future.

Michigan dropped the requirement a year or so ago.

I think it's just Florida, Pennsylvania, and Oklahoma now.

I wonder what sort of pressure it would require for those three states to drop the requirement.

I am doing an ACGME IM-prelim and ACGME radiology. Does this resolution 42 thing apply to me. I can't find anything online that clearly explains this?
Thanks.

I am doing an ACGME IM-prelim and ACGME radiology. Does this resolution 42 thing apply to me. I can't find anything online that clearly explains this?
Thanks.

What state are you in?

Oklahoma does not require a DO internship and never has. I have posted before about this with citations. You merely have to have completed a ACGME residency.

Does anyone know if your ACGME IM intern year has to meet the requirements for IM specifically, or can they just meet the requirements for a TRI year? TRI year requirements are much more easily obtained.

I called the AOA and asked about this, and I was told that meeting the requirements for a TRI year is good enough for AOA equivalency, even if you're doing IM. Doesn't sound right, but that's what I was told.

I am doing an ACGME IM-prelim in Florida and ACGME radiology in a state other than FL, OK, MI, PA, or WV. Does this resolution 42 thing apply to me? I'm confused on what precisely the effects are of having done an ACGME intern year in FL. Is it that I will have trouble getting licensed in certain states?

With all the BS that surrounds the AOA, I really don't want anything to do with it. I just want to be able to practice radiology where ever I want in the US.

I think you're misinterpreting the whole premise. If you do not do an AOA TRI then you must apply to have your intern year counted as equivalent for those states having resolution 42. So yes, it does apply to you. If you want to practice in FL, until they repeal the resolution 42 altogether due to the merger, you must apply to have your intern year counted as equivalent. I believe you have to go to an AOA conference during your ACGME Intern year as well to make the process a lot more seamless but people more knowledgeable on the subject can speak to that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I dont understand why anyone should have to do this if you are practicing within the scope of your training....

so what would i need to do in order to have my ACGME intern year approved by AOA. the intern year is basically 6 months of inpatient medicine, 1 month EM, and a couple months of outpatient. There is no pediatrics, obgyn, surgery, or OMM.

Res 42 not required in Florida either.
See the last paragraph.

Florida

64B15-16.002 Procedure.
(1) Any applicant who has failed to complete an AOA (American Osteopathic Association)-approved internship must apply to the AOA for approval of the PGY (post-graduate year)-1 year of the ACGME (Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education) residency for educational equivalence. Upon acceptance of the PGY-1 year for educational equivalence of the ACGME residency by the AOA, the Board of Osteopathic Medicine will approve for licensure applicants who are otherwise qualified for licensure, and who demonstrate good cause as delineated below for having taken the ACGME residency in lieu of an AOA internship.
(2) When the AOA denies educational equivalency, the Board of Osteopathic Medicine will not review the equivalency of the PGY-1 year.
(3) When the AOA approves the ACGME residency’s PGY-1 year for educational equivalency and denies the demonstration of good cause for having taken the ACGME residency, the Board of Osteopathic Medicine shall review the applicant’s demonstration of good cause. Good cause for having taken a non-AOA approved rotating internship shall be:
(a) Personal limitation created by a documented physical or medical disability.
(b) Unique documented opportunity otherwise unavailable that meets a practice area of critical need.
(c) Documented legal restriction which requires physical presence in a particular state or local area.
(d) Documented unusual or exceptional family circumstances which limit training opportunities.
(e) Previous program met all AOA requirements but, due to documented circumstances beyond the control of the applicant, was discontinued.
(f) Documented inability to relocate to another geographic area without undue hardship.
(g) Documented inability to obtain an AOA rotating internship.
(4) Any applicant who completes an ACGME-approved residency shall be deemed to have met the educational equivalence of an AOA rotating internship. It shall remain the responsibility of the applicant to demonstrate good cause, as defined above, for having not taken an AOA-approved internship.

Oklahoma

http://www.ok.gov/osboe/documents/RULES.pdf

510:10-3-1. General licensure requirements
(a) Licensure by Board required. It is the general requirement in the State of Oklahoma that
practitioners of osteopathic medicine and surgery be licensed by the State Board of Osteopathic
Examiners.
(b) Temporary license. The Osteopathic Medicine Act does not authorize the Board to issue a
temporary license for any purpose.
(c) Postgraduate training. One year of postgraduate training is a requirement for licensure. This
experience must be in the form of a rotating internship or its equivalent, in an accredited internship or
residency program acceptable to the Board. To be deemed equivalent to a rotating internship and,
acceptable to the Board, a program must provide the following:
(1) The program must provide the following core experience:
(A) One (1) month - General Practice
(B) Two (2) months - General Internal Medicine
(C) One (1) month - General Surgery
(D) One (1) month - Obstetrics/Gynecology
(E) One (1) month - Pediatrics
(2) This core experience must be supplemented by three (3) months of Selectives and three (3)
months of Electives, accounting for a total of twelve (12) months. A Selective may be defined as any
core category or Emergency Medicine. An Elective may be any category of experience chosen by the
intern or resident.
(3) If an applicant has completed an ACGME accredited residency training program and become
specialty board eligible or attained specialty board certification, the Board may consider this standing as equivalent training

I can't say that I have gone through it myself but my buddy in Fl had to submit documents to show that it was in "good cause". All that last paragraph says is that the education is equivalent. It does not touch the other requirements i.e. An AOA educational event.

Yea everyone I have talked to said that the process was easy as long as you knocked out an AOA conference during intern year the paperwork was no problem.

So AOA conference during intern year, that I can probably do. But the other requirements are going to be difficult. IM? Surgery? OB? I'm doing a freaking pediatrics residency.

So in OK and FL, I don't even have to apply under resolution 42? I can appeal directly to the board for them to recognize my training as equivalent?

So AOA conference during intern year, that I can probably do. But the other requirements are going to be difficult. IM? Surgery? OB? I'm doing a freaking pediatrics residency.

So in OK and FL, I don't even have to apply under resolution 42? I can appeal directly to the board for them to recognize my training as equivalent?

If you can get resolution 42 - less headaches when you apply for a state license in the states that require AOA internship year (and likely quicker). When starting a new job or moving, the last thing you want is additional delays while you wait to get your license. You can't do anything without a license in that state

For pediatrics - if you can't satisfy the requirement for "traditional rotating internship", you can also use the pediatric specific intern year requirements instead

Pediatrics - 1st Year Requirement

• 1 month surgery
  • 1 month internal medicine
  • 1 month women’s health
  • 1 month emergency medicine
  • 2 months of ambulatory pediatrics
  • 1 month of newborn nursery
  • 2 months of general in-patient pediatrics
  • 1 month of NICU
  • 2 months additional training which will be spent in pediatric subspecialty areas
  • Continuity of care clinic will be required and will be a priority extending throughout the year. It will occupy one-half day per week throughout the training program

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/Education/postdoctoral-training/Documents/Curriculum for Approved OGME 1st year of training.pdf

Res 42 not required in Florida either.
See the last paragraph.

Florida

64B15-16.002 Procedure
(4) Any applicant who completes an ACGME-approved residency shall be deemed to have met the educational equivalence of an AOA rotating internship. It shall remain the responsibility of the applicant to demonstrate good cause, as defined above, for having not taken an AOA-approved internship.

I don't think this means res 42 is not necessary, I think this means any ACGME residency meets the requirements for educational equivalence. I.e., you still have to demonstrate "good cause," go to a conference/do a presentation, get a letter from your PD showing you met the requirements, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think this means res 42 is not necessary, I think this means any ACGME residency meets the requirements for educational equivalence. I.e., you still have to demonstrate "good cause," go to a conference/do a presentation, get a letter from your PD showing you met the requirements, etc.

This is my understanding too.

Last edited:
Im an incoming OMS1. Can somebody explain what this resolution 42 entail? Thanks

Im an incoming OMS1. Can somebody explain what this resolution 42 entail? Thanks
read post #9 above, its very good

as an incoming OMS1 this issue will not concern you. it will either be resolved completely or will change to another issue, so dont worry about it. if you want to know anyway, google ""aoa resolution 42 and click the first link

I am doing an IM prelim in Florida then moving to a non-resolution 42 state for radiology. As part of my IM prelim, do I need to do a month of EM or is this something that can be waived with resolution 42? Thanks.

It's ridiculous that only 3 states have this requirement, whereas the other 47 do not. Hopefully this will be abolished shortly, and DO's who have trained in ACGME programs, can obtain licensure in these three states without additional barriers.

I’m just confused. So if I want to do a residency in PA, I have to do a whole year internship before I can?

Why would anyone give up a year of their life just to do a residency in a certain state?

And if I’m interpreting this correctly, I could just go to a conference and get some paperwork done and get exempt? Or is that only in the other 47 states? Or could I just go to a conference for the PA residency too?

No, has nothing to do with residency. Its about the license you get in one of those 3 states after, doesn't matter where the residency was. Those states still require an AOA intern year to get a license after residency. See my post above (post 9) why I think these states do this and for more info about Resolution 42.

As for your concern about the extra year, you don't have to do it. Resolution 42 is a process where the AOA basically approves your ACGME PGY1 year to count as a an AOA PGY1 year so it counts for licensing purposes. In order for it to count, you basically either give a osteopathy lecture or attend an AOA conference and fill out a form. That's it. Its pretty basic. No one does an extra year to comply with this. Trust me. I trained and work in PA. My past co-residents who were DOs and my current residents all go through this simple loophole.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll check in to that. Any other reason I might need to maintain my membership? I don't need it to take level 3 do I?

Why wouldn't you need to take Level 3? You have to do that no matter where you practice.

Gotcha. Don't think you do. I'm pretty sure I wasn't when I took it.