status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr panda

Wicked bun
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I am recent immigrant from Russian Federation and I hear a lot how much efforts colleges put to promote different minorities in colleges (such thing as affirmative action). I wonder is national origin relevant in these terms? Also, can I be classified as underrepresented since Russians are only 0.0012% of US population?

P.S. Please, don't get me wrong, I am asking this not because I hope to get any easy road or unauthorized benefits, but simply because I am new in the country and not aware about all the details.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello guys. I am recent immigrant from Russia and I hear a lot how much efforts colleges put to promote different minorities and give them preferences in colleges (such thing as affirmative action).
1) I wonder is national origin relevant in these terms?
2) Also, can I be classified as a minority or "underrepresented" since Russians are only 0.0012% of US population?
1) No.

2) No.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Russians are white/Caucasians; which comes from the Caucasus of Southern Russia. So almost by definition Russian means white

Being an immigrant and your experience coming to USA is a diversity issue for secondary

Reactions: 3 users
There may be very few Russians in the US but there may be enough physicians of Russian origins to adequately serve the population. That said, if you apply to schools in areas where there is a sizable Russian immigrant population, your language skills may be seen as a plus.

While you may not be considered URM, I think you'll have an excellent diversity essay. Especially so if you can elaborate on what you learned growing up in Russia, how your different life experiences will help you as a physician.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys. I am recent immigrant from Russia and I hear a lot how much efforts colleges put to promote different minorities and give them preferences in colleges (such thing as affirmative action). I wonder is national origin relevant in these terms? Also, can I be classified as a minority or "underrepresented" since Russians are only 0.0012% of US population?
The immigrant experience is always a valuable subject for the diversity prompt in secondaries.

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.