Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphahelix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When talking about URM, disadvantaged premed students, what exactly are we talking about? What are the differences between these two? Anyone knows about this policy from the AAMC?
Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Call The Aamc

popolus said:
Call The Aamc

lol, oh please.

URM are defined as native american, black, and hispanic/latino.the proportions of these races in the doctor profession do not equal the proportion of these races in the united states. hence, these races are under represented in medicine.

disadvantaged could mean URM, but it generally refers to people who are really impoverished.... people that were very poor that they did not have the same access to some of the resources we had. these disadvantaged usually work 2-3 jobs or something and therefore, dont have the oppportunity/time to volunteer or do research like some of you overachievers.disadvantaged also refers to people in general who do not have the same opportunities as normal people do. for example, if this person was homeschooled or grew up locked away in one of those communal villages.

i hope that helps and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
ahem, i believe an overachiever would be one who does research/volunteer/and works 32+hr weeks. this is why i have a lower GPA than most (not to mention a certain incident) hahaha.

alphahelix said:
When talking about URM, disadvantaged premed students, what exactly are we talking about? What are the differences between these two? Anyone knows about this policy from the AAMC?
Thanx

Ok so I am a URM (afr. amer to be exact) but I do not qualify as being disadvantaged....does my example help?