Stay at home mom looking for Dental School advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toomanyoptionsmama

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering if there are any career changing mom's out there who have gone to dental school and if you can share your experience, -- would you do it again? how difficult was it?

I am 33 and graduated from top 20 university in 2006 in a non-science major so I would need to start with post-bacc program and take the DAT, so dental school probably wouldn't start until 36, and then 4 years, so not graduating until 40. Is that too old, given the cost of dental school, if I only work 15-20 years?

I already have 2 children (3 and 1), how difficult/time consuming is dental school? I would like to still have time to spend with my children on most weekends and be able to pick them up from school - is this doable?

I worked in HR after college, until 3 years ago when I became a stay at home mom (was making $90k) and ever since I had a child, I am regretting not going into a medical field (my father is a surgeon and still works a ton, so after seeing how much he was gone working, I stayed away from medicine, but now I have seen so many women in medicine working 4 days a week and balancing a family, but they went to school prior to children). I feel like dentistry might be doable since it is 4 years (but still more for me with pre reqs) and the lifestyle seems to be fairly flexible.

Any advice or experience from other women who went back after having children?

My other issue is that due to my husband's career, we can't relocate and I would likely only be able to apply to 1 Dental school - University of Maryland. How feasible is it to go through a post bacc and the dat and get in to the only school you apply to?

Members don't see this ad.