Stay away from ecology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ugh. I thought I would take an ecology class because

a) It goes under science gpa

and

b) It would be nice to know something about ecology for my own edification, which should be a noble enough reason to choose a class.

BUT, ugh, what a waste of time and money. There's nothing in this class you don't learn from Campbell's biology or a slew of other classes more interesting like population genetics (well, a little bit more interesting) and animal-related classes.

I don't even go to class anymore.. just get the notes, TRY to read the book. But have you ever read something that you already thoroughly knew but then realized they're bringing up some new terminology for concepts you already know and are going "fudgenut.. can't.. motivate.. to.. study."

Anyone else taking a class where you feel the same way?

Members don't see this ad.

Must completely agree with that......I took it and what a waste of time. To make matters worse the instructor was my worst nightmare come true.

My school almost made me take ecology... but then, I supposedly got that cleared, thankfully, b/c I had taken the equivalent when I was over at the Community College. I just happened to find out, though, that the stupid counselor that was in charge of all of this quit, and he forgot to enter it into my DPR, and therefore, I have to go and get it cleared... again. Otherwise, like you, I'll be stuck taking ecology... a class that I really really dislike.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Disenchanted 1
Must completely agree with that......I took it and what a waste of time. To make matters worse the instructor was my worst nightmare come true.

This class sucks big time..and I ended up getting a grabage grade in it....+pissed+ ...ew... and soo boring

Originally posted by TTSD
Ugh. I thought I would take an ecology class because

a) It goes under science gpa

and

b) It would be nice to know something about ecology for my own edification, which should be a noble enough reason to choose a class.

BUT, ugh, what a waste of time and money. There's nothing in this class you don't learn from Campbell's biology or a slew of other classes more interesting like population genetics (well, a little bit more interesting) and animal-related classes.

I don't even go to class anymore.. just get the notes, TRY to read the book. But have you ever read something that you already thoroughly knew but then realized they're bringing up some new terminology for concepts you already know and are going "fudgenut.. can't.. motivate.. to.. study."

Anyone else taking a class where you feel the same way?

lol, im talking it now. same book :laugh:

Of all my bio courses, ecology was the most boring. At least I had an easy prof, where all you had to do was show up and take notes, and you'd almost certainly ace it. Still a waste of time and effort though.

I have to disagree completely. I enjoyed ecology because we actually learned applicable techniques and practiced them first hand in the field. Plus, we were taught how to write a scientific paper on an independent field study we performed. I may be biased because ever since I was young teenager I have wanted to be either a herpetologist or wildlife/naturalist researcher. I do still harbor those dreams and spend as much time in nature discovering animals, plants, and ecosystems as I can. Just give it a chance.

Herp

I really liked ecology :) The professors were very nice and helpful too! For me, professors tend to make all the difference. I can like a subject but then a professor can make the class too hard than it has to be and the class ends up being a loser.

Originally posted by exigente chica
This class sucks big time..and I ended up getting a grabage grade in it....+pissed+ ...ew... and soo boring

Me too, a pre-req for my local med school is a first year course in Population Ecology and Genetics, it SUCKED! And it brought my average down so much!

Originally posted by Herpeto
I have to disagree completely.

Herp

You make me sick.. :p

You make me sick..

It's too bad you can't appreciate topics outside of your medical orientated world my friend.

Herp

yuck, i agree. i'm taking the second gen bio right now, way out of sequence (took the first one this time last year)...it sucks! the material is a lot easier than the first bio, but a lot more boring as well! phylogeny, cladograms, and the worst part...protists and plants. who knew parameciums had all those weird macro/micronuclei. it makes glycolysis look fun.

Originally posted by Herpeto
It's too bad you can't appreciate topics outside of your medical orientated world my friend.

Herp

I enjoy things outside of medicine! (Btw, I was just joking around with you in case you took it personally)

I enjoy:

Girls... and well, that's about it.

i double majored in biology and environmental studies, so i ended up taking quite a bit of ecology. i really enjoyed it for the most part, but it totally depends on the prof. i had one ecology prof who really did bore me to tears. the others were great though, and i think ecology is fascinating.

i think there's such beauty in the way all the pieces fit perfectly together... which is more or less the same thing i find amazing about the human body. do you disagree? i guess i am surprised that sciencey folks who appreciate the intricacies of the human body are turned off by ecology. explain yourselves.

the best way to appreciate ecology is to take field bio or field ecology

i spent three weeks in the outback and that's how i learned ecology; needless to say it was an awesome experience

i think future physicians need to be aware of the world around them;

for this reasons; i disagree that ecology is a "useless" class

Originally posted by DrWuStar
i think there's such beauty in the way all the pieces fit perfectly together... which is more or less the same thing i find amazing about the human body. do you disagree? i guess i am surprised that sciencey folks who appreciate the intricacies of the human body are turned off by ecology. explain yourselves.

I don't have anything against the field of ecology itself. It's just that it seems like a lot of us have experienced very uninteresting classes. If you had a good ecological experience, that's fabulous, but most of us weren't so lucky. Yet another example of how it all comes down to the prof.