Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Stay home or Move out

Discussion in 'Dental' started by Hope7, Aug 11, 2001.

1. Hope7

Hope7 Member

The dental schools I'm interested in are just a 30 minute drive from my home. For the first and second year is it better to reduce my debt by $10 to $15,000/yr by staying home with parents or get my own place with less distractions but incur more debt? How intense is the first year?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. smilebright

smilebright Member

for my first two years of dental school i spent all day on campus by the time i got home all i wanted to do was eat and go to bed. and it would have been great to a nice home cooked meal waiting for me. if you that type that studies in the library i think that staying at home may be great idea. but if you the type that can't study in a library or if you know that you will not be able to get peace and quite at home get your place. dental school will give you enough stress you won't to have any coming from some place else.

4. Mr. So-So

Mr. So-So Senior Member

does everyone crosspost?

:p

5. Ineedanassociate

First year can be very intense! Number one question is can your parents understand that the gross anatomy quiz on Mon AM takes president over your cousin's birthday on Sunday afternoon?

6. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member

Or precedence, even.

I was at my parents' for my first year of med school, and learned the hard way that I needed to be on my own. It wasn't bad, but their routines were comfortable and relaxed and falling so easily into them wasn't good for me academically. I'd make a list of your needs and wants and then look VERY critically at whether they can be achieved with your family on top of you vs. across town. In my case the financial cost was worth the sanity.

7. Ineedanassociate

Yes that was the word I wanted. I should have reviewd my message before sending it.