Stay in homestate or switch residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gymgivitis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I'm trying to figure out my best strategy for dental applications next year. My stats are relatively low compared to most applicants which is why I'm considering switching my residency over to NC by attending grad school and working there for a year. Also, my girlfriend of a long time will be attending PT school at Duke so there is more incentive to pursue this route. However, do you guys think it's possible to be accepted to a Texas dental school? My whole mission is to be accepted to a public school instate and save money. That's why I'm toying with the idea of moving to NC since ECU has pretty low admission standards in comparison to other public schools. The fact that my girlfriend is moving there temporarily is just what started my curiosity but is by no means finalizing a decision. Any advice would be appreciated on my odds in Texas versus North Carolina and how viable the transition in residency would be.

GPA
: 3.1 oGPA 3.1 sGPA
DAT: 20AA 19TS 20Bio 20Gchem 18Orgo 22PA 19RC 22QR
Shadowing: 200 hours with 2 general dentists and a pediatric
Volunteering: 200 volunteer hours
Work: Worked each summer except my senior year I worked a campus job(15hr/week) during the school year as well. I also worked in a research lab for a semester sophomore year(no publications)
Residency: Texas

Enrolling in 1-year masters program at the same time I apply to dental school. Good LORs and Personal statement.

Plan on applying to Texas schools and UNE if I stay in Texas. Or I'd apply to the North Carolina schools and some privates if I went the other route. I understand that my GPA is low, and that's why I'm doing the masters program. What're my chances if I apply with this undergrad GPA and the academic update that'll include my summer and fall grades from the master's program(assuming good)? Thanks in advance.

Also, My freshman year GPA was a 1.85. After sophomore year my GPA has averaged a 3.6... It's been a long uphill road to saythe least

Members don't see this ad.

Check each individual states' residency requirements. Some states are lenient in switching residencies, other states aren't so much. Google state laws, find out if you need at least 1 year of unrelated employment at your new state to establish residency and so forth. Numerous states have laws that prevent students from establishing residency by simply enrolling into their program just to obtain cheaper in-state tuition.

Check each individual states' residency requirements. Some states are lenient in switching residencies, other states aren't so much. Google state laws, find out if you need at least 1 year of unrelated employment at your new state to establish residency and so forth. Numerous states have laws that prevent students from establishing residency by simply enrolling into their program just to obtain cheaper in-state tuition.
From what I understand, North Carolina requires one to live in the state for a year prior to the first day of the Dental school term applied to. Plus I wouldn't solely be moving because of getting into their school. It would just make the unfortunate situation of my girlfriend going out of state into a possibly fortunate situation for the both of us. But I'm trying to figure out if any one here believes that I could be admitted in Texas or if I should follow the North Carolina route if I want to avoid a private school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're better off staying in TX, you'll have a better shot of getting in. Plus the schools are well established so you know they're good programs. And the tuition is still awesome.

From what I understand, North Carolina requires one to live in the state for a year prior to the first day of the Dental school term applied to. Plus I wouldn't solely be moving because of getting into their school. It would just make the unfortunate situation of my girlfriend going out of state into a possibly fortunate situation for the both of us. But I'm trying to figure out if any one here believes that I could be admitted in Texas or if I should follow the North Carolina route if I want to avoid a private school.

i would stay where you are now :nod:

Okay. So you guys think that I'd have a shot if I stay in Texas? My concern is the possibility that I've dug myself a hole too deep with my freshman/sophomore GPA because it seems Texas dental schools(especially A&M-Baylor) value GPA as the most important factor in admission.

Okay. So you guys think that I'd have a shot if I stay in Texas? My concern is the possibility that I've dug myself a hole too deep with my freshman/sophomore GPA because it seems Texas dental schools(especially A&M-Baylor) value GPA as the most important factor in admission.
Yes you dug yourself into a hole, but you're not the first or the last. It happens man. Thankfully you don't have THAT many credits that your hole is so deep. Smoke your remaining classes and you will see your GPA rise. You still have an opportunity for an academic update. A VERY strong upward trend looks great and will receive attention. Believe it or not, your GPA situation is more common than you think.