Stay in molecular bio or switch to biomed with a minor in English lit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aboody Toty Fruity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am an international student studying in the US since 2012. Currently, my major is cell and molecular bio (CAM) and I have finished 102 credits out of 120 to graduate. I have a 4.00 GPA that I want to maintain.
When I take MCAT practice AAMC tests, I get 121 in CARS and 127 in everything else.

To improve my CARS, I thought it is wise to change my major to biomedical sciences, a degree that is easier than molecular bio and require less sciences so I can add a minor in English lit.

For the minor, I will take late Shakspere, British lit 1616-1780, American lit 1860-1912, Introduction to Literature, and History of the English Language.

Pros of switching:
1- I will learn English lit for the first time of my life, which is something I would like to experience.
2- improve my CARS, hopefully.

Cons:
1- I am going to have a weaker and less respected degree, which is biomed.
2- I am putting my 4.00 GPA at risk since English is my second language and anyone of these English professors may shoot me with an A- that will bring me down to 3.9 or 3.8 GPA. But if I stay in sciences, I feel more confident maintaining the 4.00.
3- I am giving up a backup plan, I am preventing myself from getting into graduate programs since Biomed is not good enough for a Master's in biochem for example.

If you ask why not do molecular bio and Eng lit minor, the answers is that will cost me extra $5100 of tuitions.

Members don't see this ad.

You get better at CARS by practicing CARS, not changing your major

Reactions: 5 users