Stay in North america or go to east european dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ah91823

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,
I have been reading thread here for a while but still havent found the answer of my question. So please help me!

I am a canadian citizen who is from a dental family and always want to go into dentistry.
I just finished my junior year in McGill University in Biochemistry and my GPA is only 2.5. I havent tried DAT yet because I don't know if I should apply to dentistry if my GPA is so low.
I heard couple of people cannot get into canadian dental/medical school all end up going to east europe. I don't know should I also go into this rounte or flight my best +stay one extra year to raise my GPA/do well in DAT?

the issue is that even if I spend extra year to take science courses, I might not get in dentistry still........
I really really really hope I can get into any USA/Canada dental school you know...becuase I know it is very difficult for foreign trained doctor to come back north american to practice.

Should I even need to bother trying to apply this year? or stay one more extra year? or just go to europe and take long rounte?

Please give me your 2 cents!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

ah91823 said:
Hello guys,
I have been reading thread here for a while but still havent found the answer of my question. So please help me!

I am a canadian citizen who is from a dental family and always want to go into dentistry.
I just finished my junior year in McGill University in Biochemistry and my GPA is only 2.5. I havent tried DAT yet because I don't know if I should apply to dentistry if my GPA is so low.
I heard couple of people cannot get into canadian dental/medical school all end up going to east europe. I don't know should I also go into this rounte or flight my best +stay one extra year to raise my GPA/do well in DAT?

the issue is that even if I spend extra year to take science courses, I might not get in dentistry still........
I really really really hope I can get into any USA/Canada dental school you know...becuase I know it is very difficult for foreign trained doctor to come back north american to practice.

Should I even need to bother trying to apply this year? or stay one more extra year? or just go to europe and take long rounte?

Please give me your 2 cents!!!!

Things you got to ask yourself,

how long is the east european program?
will you be US accredited?
tuition?
Overseas security?
Its different over there, its cut throat, the faculty and school doesnt give a damn about you, only your money. Same applies to the Carribean.

By the way, what country and what is the name of the school?

north american dental schools have tough competition and moreover you are a canadian resident with a 2.5 gpa which is going to be even tougher. I dont know about the requirements of east european schools but getting admission in north american dental schools is definetly not going to be easy for you given your situation. you might want to contact the schools you are interested in and speak with them which would be a better option.

Members don't see this ad :)
After you graduate from Wherever Univ. you'll also need to complete the two year program for graduates of a foreign school (approx 200k) at a school in the US if you want to practice in the US. However, I'm inclined to think that it might still be worth it for the experience that comes with the degree, plus you could still practice almost anywhere on earth but for the US.

If you're planning to practice in the US or Canada, it would be way better to stay here for dental school. I think doing a masters and kicking ass in the program will probably be more beneficial than going overseas to a european dental school. Although I'm sure the education you'll get in europe will be adequate, it makes licensing back here much more difficult. You'll have to at least do an IDS program, which is very expensive and actually much MORE competitive than getting into a DDS program in the first place.

Yah-E had a crap GPA, did a masters, finished his DDS and is now in an OMFS program...all without hell freezing over, so it must be possible.

Didn't you watch Hostel? Why ever would you want to go to east Europe? Especially for dental school...very different curriculum there, plus, like others have said, you'd have to come back and complete a couple years since you would then be a foreign trained dentist. Not worth it in my opinion, especially when we have some of the best dental programs in the world here in the US.

IF you want to practice in the states or canada...fight it out. raise the GPA, study hard for the american or Canadian DATs. Don't go for the alternate route...you'll still have to come back and take the 2 years after you finish in east europe anyway.

I am talking about Hungarian dentistry in east europe.

I know couples friends cannot get into med/dental in north america all went to Polish/Hungarian school.

I want to go back USA/CANADA to practice becasue my family is in Vancouver, BC.

I went to the best school in Canada, Mcgill university is considered as Canada's Harvard. But the school intend to screw us up by curving the average to C+/B- and the Biochem major that I am doing now is the hardest major. My friend transferred to Harvard told us that McGill's undergrad courses are actually deeper than Harvard's because we cover incrediblely amount of material in 38 weeks.

But it pointless to say that now, as I already have 1 more year left and have 90 credits complete. I just cannot believe dental school jsut look at your GPA not the school/curriculum that you are doing. I should have gone to an easier school if I knew my GPA will be so low.

So I wonder what can I do now?? I have heard you guys talking about post-bac, but there is no such thing in canada I believe, so I don't really know what is that.

Now I believe what I can do is try to get into USA dental schoo. I have no chance in Canada because all the people get in have 3.8+ GPA.

ah91823 said:
I went to the best school in Canada, Mcgill university is considered as Canada's Harvard. But the school intend to screw us up by curving the average to C+/B- and the Biochem major that I am doing now is the hardest major. My friend transferred to Harvard told us that McGill's undergrad courses are actually deeper than Harvard's because we cover incrediblely amount of material in 38 weeks.

But it pointless to say that now, as I already have 1 more year left and have 90 credits complete. I just cannot believe dental school jsut look at your GPA not the school/curriculum that you are doing. I should have gone to an easier school if I knew my GPA will be so low.

cry me a river.

excuses are tools of incompetence that build monuments of nothing and those that indulge in them seldom accomplish anything at all.

good luck!
WS :)

p.s. the acceptance rate for mcgill is ~60% while harvard's is 10%....do the math wise guy before you come finding excuses (see above) for a poor gpa.

ah91823 said:
I am talking about Hungarian dentistry in east europe.

I went to the best school in Canada, Mcgill university is considered as Canada's Harvard. But the school intend to screw us up by curving the average to C+/B- and the Biochem major that I am doing now is the hardest major.

Whatever.... you made the call to go to the "best school" in Canada. Obviously it's gonna be hard, but ALL schools have a B- average. And most (if not all) ppl who get in any professional program are above the mean an from what it looks like you are significantly below it for whatever reason. I agree with whiskeysour.... I did a Molecular Biology major and that was considered one of the hardest programs in the biological sciences and I did fine. It's all about hard work at this level, but it's still possible to get in somewhere in the states if you get a 4.0 next year...

ah91823 said:
Now I believe what I can do is try to get into USA dental schoo. I have no chance in Canada because all the people get in have 3.8+ GPA.

That's why I'm applying to the states.

Despite Sour's less than enthusiatic response to your grades, he's not far off.

Actually, dental schools usually do look at the college you go to as well as the GPA. The only equilizer score is the DAT since everyone should get the same kind of standardized test. I know about McGill, know a couple people who studied medicine there, and I've heard it is tough. Admissions people may or may not know about McGill, but don't make excuses to admissions people...Don't whine about hard classes or the bell curve being pushed this way or that. Just tell them you went to McGill and this is what you got. Let them make the decision on how much the school you went to will affect their decision cause they won't want to hear the sob story attached to it. Annoying the Admissions people isn't the way to get anywhere

I didn't go to the most prestigious university in the world. I went to SDSU, and I've had admissions people tell me point blank that they will look at my GPA, but if it's between a 3.2 from SDSU and a 3.0 from UCBerkeley...well, I lose and tough.

So I think I need to at least get a 3.0 to apply?

and thanks evreyone that replied my post, I guess going to europe might not be a good idea, I will work harder and tried to get into America school

ah91823 said:

ok, i'd also put McMaster and U of T right up there as the 'hardest schools'

i'm in biochem here and what do you think the average is for most classes.. same as yours c+/b-
i think it's like that everywhere

also, what american schools will you be applying to?
i'm interested in this too eventually but the tuition down here is insane... but i guess you said you're from a 'dental family' so you might find a way to pay it

Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply to all private dental school
about 16 of them,

But first thing, I need to raise my GPA.
I am glad to hear someone is from canada also,
Do you think it worthwhile to transfer to a easier school?
I already have 90 credits complete from Mcgill,
I need to get A's for the rest of my undergrad,
but If I stay in mcgill, It is very hard (reason 1. A are only giving to certain % of ppl.....they curve, 2. everyone in my major all want to go to Med school, so the atmosphere is so competitive)

Any opionion?

(I am very sorry to say that, but money is really not a issue in my case, my GPA is)

ah91823 said:
I would apply to all private dental school
about 16 of them,

But first thing, I need to raise my GPA.
I am glad to hear someone is from canada also,
Do you think it worthwhile to transfer to a easier school?
I already have 90 credits complete from Mcgill,
I need to get A's for the rest of my undergrad,
but If I stay in mcgill, It is very hard (reason 1. A are only giving to certain % of ppl.....they curve, 2. everyone in my major all want to go to Med school, so the atmosphere is so competitive)

Any opionion?

(I am very sorry to say that, but money is really not a issue in my case, my GPA is)

ya you can transfer to like brock or queens, i'm sure it's easier there
trust me, here at mac it's the same 'atomsphere'
i finished my 2nd year and my gpa is about 3.56 or so..
not good enough for canada yet but schools like western take only your top two years (which i hope will be my next 2)
i'm also thinking about applying to US schools, but i have on clue how many non residents they accept

I think you should seriously consider a master's program, perhaps at another university, and kicking butt in that (very important in your case!). Then apply to dental programs.

Come on man..we all know UofT is the best school in Canada ;)

Audio said:
Come on man..we all know UofT is the best school in Canada ;)

Come on man, don't lie, we all know Waterloo is the best school in Canada...cuz Macleans said so :p ;)

Why not try to get into a dental hygiene program. kick ass, then after working as a hygienist for a few years apply to dental school. this would be a good idea if you cant get your gpa up, though this might limit your chances of getting to a hygiene program, but it is a thought that could work.

Dental schools look for trends. I believe you wrote that you had 90 units left. Get 90 units of mostly A's. Figure out how you can do this. It might involve taking a lighter load or structuring your schedule differently. You may also look at taking one additional year of courses. This year does not have to consist of a full load but def upper division science. You may also want to may want to take time to beef up your extra curriculars. Are there any programs that allow you to do intensive volunteer work for a year? I assume you are still young (21, 22, or 23) I would plan on taking the time to build your resume in such a way that schools cant say no. Of course this will take an extra year or two but in the long run this is no time at all. Starting dental school at 25 or 26 is still very young.

kvip said:
Come on man, don't lie, we all know Waterloo is the best school in Canada...cuz Macleans said so :p ;)

ahh my friend. UofT and Waterloo aren't even ranked in the same category. Waterloo is ranked with other "Comprehensive" schools and UofT is ranked in the "Medical Doctoral" category. But hey, at least Waterloo is no longer ranked 2nd in the Comprehensive category...2nd to Guelph Muhahahhahahah

lol. big deal. guelph took us down to second for just one year but we have been up there for the last few years and now up again. However, there is no denying the fact guelph is a good uni too so i do not understand the point you are trying to make here. anyways did u hear about the complaint by UofT president regarding the rankings? So I think Macleans might change their way of rankings this year. :)

Audio said:
ahh my friend. UofT and Waterloo aren't even ranked in the same category. Waterloo is ranked with other "Comprehensive" schools and UofT is ranked in the "Medical Doctoral" category. But hey, at least Waterloo is no longer ranked 2nd in the Comprehensive category...2nd to Guelph Muhahahhahahah

kvip said:
lol. big deal. guelph took us down to second for just one year but we have been up there for the last few years and now up again. However, there is no denying the fact guelph is a good uni too so i do not understand the point you are trying to make here. anyways did u hear about the complaint by UofT president regarding the rankings? So I think Macleans might change their way of rankings this year. :)

lol that would be funny. UofT has been ranked #1 by Macleans forever. If they get dropped, that would be mad funny. Oh well, rankings are weak anyways. I'd only use them to say, look, this school is in the top 5, they must be doing something right. But i'd never say, oh my school is ranked 3rd, it's better than yours cuz yours is ranked 4th :rolleyes:

now why would you think Queen's is easier than McGill??
just transfer to York

this thread is from last August.

WTF....lol:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ...rise of the living threads (get it...rise of the living dead=rise of the living threads:laugh: :laugh: )....crickets chirping.... Okay I am gonna stop now and leave :oops:

Its different over there, its cut throat, the faculty and school doesnt give a damn about you, only your money. Same applies to the Carribean.

By the way, what country and what is the name of the school?

I like how you can criticize the school, calling it "cut throat" and that "the faculty does not give a damn about you, only your money" and you follow up by admitting that you do not even know which school the OP is considering. Nice.. I am sure your advice is extremely valid.

At least when I talk about a school being a poor choice I speak from first hand experience...

kill this thing already!...it's becoming stronger and stronger...we must kill it...CRICKETS CHIRPING....my apologies I am just bored out of my mind right now :D

*zombie thread*