Stay in Tennessee or move to Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tndoc12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have lived in Tennessee all of my life and I love it here. My girlfriend (soon to be fiance) lives in Texas. When we get married after school we will be living wherever I go to med school.

Do i have a better shot at getting into med school if i move to Texas and apply there or stay where I am at.

I have a 3.7 sGPA and a 3.6 cGPA. No MCAT yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I lived in Tennessee while my husband was in the army, but we moved to Texas after his term was up (he was from Texas). I think it was a good decision--Texas is full of great schools, tuition at all of them is pretty cheap, and the competition is not totally impossible. Also, Texas is an awesome state. :D

Lets. Go. Longhorns. :horns:

I'd move to Texas in heartbeat.

Members don't see this ad :)
during the last application cycle I was considered a TX resident by TMDSAS and a TN resident by AMCAS.

I interviewed at 4 Texas schools with 2 acceptances and 3 Tennessee schools with 3 waitlists.

If you can get Texas residency, I'd say it's the best way to get in to school. Plus tuition will be a lot cheaper.

.........Go Mountain West. :thumbup:

texas for sure..
the state medical school tuition is dirty cheap.. living costs are cheap.. you'd leave 4 years of medical school with a lot less debt.

Wow. Thanks for the feedback. What exactly or how long would I have to live here to claim Texas residency?

F.Y.I. I just flew into Dallas tonight! I love it here!!!

Wow. Thanks for the feedback. What exactly or how long would I have to live here to claim Texas residency?

F.Y.I. I just flew into Dallas tonight! I love it here!!!

Texas residency, for the purposes of school, takes 12 months to achieve.