Stay with a student host?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aardvark14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how people's experiences with hosts has been. I dont really feel like paying for a hotel room, but sleeping on a couch or the floor the night before an interview may be worse. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering how people's experiences with hosts has been. I dont really feel like paying for a hotel room, but sleeping on a couch or the floor the night before an interview may be worse. What do you guys think?

It's definitely worth it, even if you are on a couch for a night. Student hosts are great because they let you really see how the students are at a given school are. On the plus side, they're always good at getting you there on time, etc. Also, it can be fun to meet other folks. My student host and I at one school went out for drinks after the interview. It was great.

If you have a willing host, I would be all over it. You probably won't sleep much the night before an interview anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Save your money. You are not sleeping for that long anyways, with most interviews forcing you to wake up pretty early :rolleyes:

has anyone stayed with a student host for 2 days, like if there are no late flights after your interview?

has anyone stayed with a student host for 2 days, like if there are no late flights after your interview?

I have. It depends on the host if they're receptive to 2 nights.

I have, but they always think it's really wierd. I like to stay for a friday night at the place, but hosts aren't always up for it. Check with them before purchasing plane tickets.

I am staying in a hotel, but still got info about a student host program and asked if I could be "hosted" without taking up space in the host's apt. She thought it was a great idea, and agreed to do all the things the host normally does...give me some feedback, talk about stuff that isn't on the tour, and meet up with some other classmates for dinner/drinks, but without having to sleep on a couch with no blanket, or pillow.

Maybe I'm weird like that, but staying in a hotel and having everything at my disposal the night before is comforting and i know if something goes wrong, I have an iron, and all kinds of other stuff that may come in handy :)

I've both stayed with student hosts and stayed at hotels the night before my interviews. The definite advantage of staying with a student host is that you get to learn a lot more about the school. One of my hosts even took me on a pre-tour of the school the day before my interview, so I wouldn't get lost the next day, and I've had the opportunity to really get to interact with the students in an informal setting. The disadvantages are that you usually don't get an actual bed, and it can be hard to arrange morning schedules especially if there are more than two people living in the apt. The times that I've stayed in hotels, I slept much better, but I feel that I didn't learn as much about the school and its students. My suggestion is to stay with student hosts if you can but try to find one who lives alone or has only one roommate and ask them a lot of questions. Most of the time they are in no way affiliated with the adcom, so you are free to ask them ANYTHING! Hope this helps.