stay with student host for interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waterlily

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for those who already went through the interview process. I was thinking about staying with a student host for my UVA interview to help save money. I was just wondering what exactly was your experience like staying with a student host? I'm debating on what time to book my bus to arrive to VA, and I can arrive either in afternoon or nighttime. I'd prefer afternoon b/c I'd feel too rushed if I arrived late at night. I understand that med students will probably be busy with their own thing, so I don't want to feel awkward if I'm just sitting in their place early, twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do. In that case, I'd rather arrive at nighttime. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've stayed with lots of student hosts and can highly recommend taking one up if you can. You'll get to learn lots about the school and will save a few dollars in process. If you are worried about what time to arrive, call the admin office and ask their opinion. I don't know about UVa in particular---so you might want to ask others on this board. As far as twiddling your thumbs: yes, some hosts are busy studying. If you are worried about boredom, bring a book with you. You won't have anything more exciting to do in a hotel room.

waterlily said:
I have a question for those who already went through the interview process. I was thinking about staying with a student host for my UVA interview to help save money. I was just wondering what exactly was your experience like staying with a student host? I'm debating on what time to book my bus to arrive to VA, and I can arrive either in afternoon or nighttime. I'd prefer afternoon b/c I'd feel too rushed if I arrived late at night. I understand that med students will probably be busy with their own thing, so I don't want to feel awkward if I'm just sitting in their place early, twiddling my thumbs with nothing to do. In that case, I'd rather arrive at nighttime. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

If you are having the interview this or next month, most hosts won't be too busy because it's still early. (except the 3rd years) Staying with a student host is a great way to save money and get to know people here. If you have some extra time, it's always a good idea to check out Mckim Hall beforehand. Good luck.