Staying another year at CC just to finish med school requirements?

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Or... should I just transfer by 17-18?
Those Med school requirements are not related to my interested major (Geography)

I have a lot to finish :/
Physics, Chem(Gen/Organic/BioC), Biology

This year (it's my 2nd year in college) due to circumstances, I can't take the planned Physics courses any more (change of schedule).
Biology at my college doesn't offer to anyone who didn't finish any Gen Chem yet. So I have to wait until next year or so.
So I can only finish (hopefully) General chemistry this year.

Should I just finish them here by staying another year?
Or should I just transfer and finish them by cramming everything (Physics,Organic/Bio Chem, Biology) after I transfer?

Crayola227

The Oncoming Storm
5+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2013
All of Time & Space
it's OK to split them between CC and Uni

I did calc, gen chem, o chem, bio, at the CC.

BUT I did physics, biochem, upper graduate bio courses, upper division math like diffy Q, and one upper division O Chem course at Uni.

It's fine to save money and time with CC, and crowding too many hard science prereqs into one year at uni sounds like set up for disaster. What you don't want is to look like is you were GPA padding or protecting at CC, and don't show that you can excel in top science courses at the uni level.

Make sense?

Reactions: Geo16
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
it's OK to split them between CC and Uni

I did calc, gen chem, o chem, bio, at the CC.

BUT I did physics, biochem, upper graduate bio courses, upper division math like diffy Q, and one upper division O Chem course at Uni.

It's fine to save money and time with CC, and crowding too many hard science prereqs into one year at uni sounds like set up for disaster. What you don't want is to look like is you were GPA padding or protecting at CC, and don't show that you can excel in top science courses at the uni level.

Make sense?
Thank you for your reply.
Yeah, I had to search what GPA padding means.

It looks like staying at CC for another year is a better choice - given that 11 courses for my major and 18 courses for all of the requirements for med school. 29 courses within 2 years. Yikes.

However, if I get into UC Berkeley, it seems possible though. It's because Berkeley does not require students to take 4 Life Science like UCLA.

http://www.career.ucla.edu/Pre-Health-Career-Services
3Physics+4 Life Science + 4 Org/Bio Chem + 4 Org/Bio chem+ 3 Math =18 courses
https://career.berkeley.edu/Medical/PrepPrereq
2Bio+1Biolab + 3 Org/Bio Chem + 2 Labs + 2 Physics + 1 Math = 11 courses

Well, UCB is in semester system and UCLA is in quarter system.