Oct 22, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I am about to graduate, and unfortunately, I didn't match to a residency. I want to try again next year and am looking for ways to stay competitive and involved after pharmacy school. I'm looking for a hospital staff job right now and am planning to take a few classes towards a master's in health administration. I'll be staying involved at my school with research projects. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Mar 23, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
That sounds like a good plan.

I would also suggest trying to become part of a state committee through your state society of ASHP. Not only is this a good way to boost your CV, but you will meet people who may be sitting across the table at an interview next year.

If possible, a staff job that has more clinical opportunities should be preferred over one that is more centered on order entry and prescription checking. You can guarantee they will ask you next year about your duties at this job, and you will be more impressive if you responded to codes, went on rounds, worked in satellites, etc.

spacecowgirl

brr
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
in an igloo
Status
Pharmacist
Your plans sound very good. Take on clinical improvement projects at your job - that's always good for a CV.

Agree with the above poster - attending regional and state meetings, CEs, conferences, etc is good for networking.

Volunteer to be a preceptor as soon as you are eligible (in my state it's 2 years of being licensed).

rrr10

10+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Status
Pharmacist
You could try to collaborate in something multidisciplinary. Committee involvement, give in-services and presentations to pharmacy, nursing, medical staff, etc. Involvement in your work with others that is not pharmacy-only would be a positive addition.

lazydazy

Go Bulls!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
Florida
Status
Pharmacist
I think the ideas are very good. I wasn't able to complete a residency right after school because my husband lost his job. I continued to be active in my area of interest. I volunteered in an Am Care clinic and participated in a medical mission abroad. I also do other volunteer activities in the community aside from working in retail. I do think that PGY1 programs like to see a well rounded applicant.

Taking classes in health administration will be very attractive as well. There are even residency programs that have emphasis in health care administration if that's your forte.

Good luck! I know it's so difficult to adjust when life doesn't go as planned. Everything does work out in time. Don't lose sight of your goals.