Staying Focused on VR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzzBrett

hmm
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how to stay focused on the verbal section? Sometimes the passages are so boring my mind wanders and I get tired.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to read like it's exciting. I know you've lied to yourself before! Do it this time. I chuckle at the author's lame jokes, really consider the rhetorical questions. Just stay involved and pretend pretend pretend. It's truly interesting material, isn't it? Isn't it?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Sit up straight
2) Keep your feet flat on the floor (not crossed)
3) Between passages take 5 seconds, close your eyes, and think to yourself "I got this next one. I'm ready."

Sounds like the corniest/stupidest thing ever, but I did that on the day of the MCAT and my VR score shot up 2-3 pts compared to my AAMC/EK practice scores.

You need to read like it's exciting. I know you've lied to yourself before! Do it this time. I chuckle at the author's lame jokes, really consider the rhetorical questions. Just stay involved and pretend pretend pretend. It's truly interesting material, isn't it? Isn't it?!?

above is my method for philosophical, historical, and psychological passages- basically the social sciences which I at least have some interest in.

For other passages, especially economics which i really don't care about at all, i would generally try and use antagonism towards the subject to curb my own wandering attention. Basically, i found that if i get pissed off enough at the passage and its author then i have a tendency to focus better because i'm looking for ways to either sink his argument or laugh at how ridiculous the topic is. It sounds stupid but it worked for me. Another method is to just try and think about how this stupid verbal passage is trying to erode your chances of getting into med school. I call it the hulk's verbal methodology.