Staying with a Student Host

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saturday’s Child

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m sure this has been asked about before, but what have people’s experiences been regarding staying with a student host before the interview? Did you feel like you benefitted from it? Were you able to get a genuine read on the students and overall environment? Would you have regretted not doing it? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It definitely has been discussed here before, but it will vary significantly from person to person. I personally liked it and stayed with students at most interviews, and I had great experiences with it at every school except for one. It allowed me to gain a lot of insights into each program and its culture, and I actually made quite a few friends along the way.

Some people can't handle the extra stress of not knowing what the housing will be like, though I was certainly comfortable with it (and am not above sleeping on someone's couch). If you would prefer to have your own bubble where everything is more standardized, then spend the extra money for a hotel and nobody will judge you.

The one school where I had a bad experience with a student host actually involved some racist and sexist comments, though in retrospect I have come to the conclusion that he was doing everything in his power to drive me away from that school because he was unhappy there (spoiler alert–he succeeded). I still reported the behavior to the admissions office because that's really not acceptable.

Aside from the one very negative experience, I did really enjoy the opportunity to meet new people, learn about places and programs, and save money in the process. The only person who can really decide if staying with student hosts is a good idea for you is, of course, you.

Reactions: 3 users
I liked a hotel because I could wake up when I wanted, get ready without constraint, leave my **** everywhere, come back from the interview, strip, lay in bed, enjoy my time however, sleep at 5 PM, who cares? But, if you don't have $200 to spare, student host is still a fantastic option.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've really liked staying with student hosts so far, but I'm pretty used to being comfortable in less-than-luxurious conditions. I really did appreciate having the chance to chat frankly with my hosts about the reality of school when they didn't feel like they had their administrations breathing down their necks

Reactions: 4 users
I need to be able to poop in peace.
But that's just me.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
On a more serious note, I just preferred the idea of being in control of my surroundings.
Like Mr. Dr. said, putting stuff anywhere, coming and going as I please and not having to make awkward convos.
Just came from a student-led pre-interview dinner and a small part of me regretted not doing the student host thing bc it was close to the restaurant and school.
But, hotel had a school discount - $80-ish bucks at the marriott and a shuttle to the school in the morning.

Its just peace of mind.
Same reason why I can't do airbnb for interviews - only ever done them with friends.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m sure this has been asked about before, but what have people’s experiences been regarding staying with a student host before the interview? Did you feel like you benefitted from it? Were you able to get a genuine read on the students and overall environment? Would you have regretted not doing it? Thanks!
Student hosts are like a box of chocolates. I had one that was so burnt out he spent the whole time telling me to explore options other than medicine. I had 2 where I only met the dude's roommates because the host was so busy studying. A couple of them gave me my own guest room. With 2 of them I weirdly ended up sleeping in the hosts own bed (host not present or on the floor- he insisted!). Majority were on a couch but occasionally you'll have to sleep on a pad on the floor of a closet sized bedroom with an annoying cat(cough cough NYU).

10/10 would do all of them again. I dont think I really gained much in terms of insight into the school, but saved a whole lot of money! Plus its nice to see the housing for those schools that have subsidized student housing. If you're someone that doesnt do well with new situations/picky sleeper then I would not recommend.

Reactions: 4 users
I stayed with a student host and had a pleasant experience from it. I think it helped talking to them about their lifestyle and likes and dislikes about the school, curriculum, and resources that you may miss during interview day. The best part about the process is it's free, something you can rarely pass by during application season.

I stayed with a student host before my interview. I was very fortunate in that they drove me and showed me where to go for my interview. It was way cheaper than staying in a hotel ($20, money going to a charity; I ended up spotting my host $20 though). They were a fresh M1 just 4 weeks in so I got the optimistic, not-burned-out student who was chilling and not worrying too much yet since they had not started anatomy yet. I had an excellent experience, but as others have said, their are sub-optimal situations that might occur. I happened to get lucky. They also offered a lot of information about the school and how they felt and I could see myself being at the school with them, so knowing that much more about the school certainly helped me with the interview. If I get another I will certainly stay with a student host if possible. I believe it is worth the "risk".

More than a dozen interviews and 80% staying with student hosts. Aside from saving tons of credit card interest, it really turned my head around on several schools, including what HAD been my dream school - so I guess it might have saved me from that too.

Reactions: 1 users
Slept on someone's hardwood floor yesterday. 10/10 would not recommend

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend not doing it for what others have said previously. Get an Airbnb instead. Same cost, but don't have to worry about entertaining anyone. I got in at 11 pm and my host wanted to talk to me for an hour. It might have been helpful had he been an M2, but he was an M1 and just started like 2 weeks before.

I stayed with a student host the night before my interview and it was a great experience. I didn’t know the city very well and their apartment was only 4 blocks from the school and a block from the subway stop I needed. I had the entire living room to myself, a very comfy couch to sleep on, and I was able to leave my stuff at their apartment while at the interview and got to come back and change before catching my train back. I realize now though that I was really lucky with my experiences. So that’s just my n=1

Reactions: 1 user
wait confused, what costs are associated with a student host?

The school charged me $50 to stay with a student host... did nobody else have to pay?

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
The school charged me $50 to stay with a student host... did nobody else have to pay?
The budgetary pressures must be insane at that school. And no, what you experienced is not the norm :eek: ... Hopefully that $50 stay came with a filet and lobster dinner

• Haha
The budgetary pressures must be insane at that school. And no, what you experienced is not the norm :eek: ... Hopefully that $50 stay came with a filet and lobster dinner

haha nope... no food. It was reportedly to support the hosting program, which is run by med students. Maybe they had a lobster dinner.

• Haha
I would recommend not doing it for what others have said previously. Get an Airbnb instead. Same cost, but don't have to worry about entertaining anyone. I got in at 11 pm and my host wanted to talk to me for an hour. It might have been helpful had he been an M2, but he was an M1 and just started like 2 weeks before.
Airbnb is a great alternative and generally pretty cheap unless in Manhattan or somewhere similar. I used it for the school that didnt offer hosting and was always happy with the price and experience

Sent from my LG-H918 using SDN mobile

Staying with student hosts is always the move. There's no better way to prepare yourself for an interview than warming up your sociability while speaking to someone who is potentially future you.

Maybe I've only had the good ones, but every host has given me extremely valuable non-biased information about the school. And you get to see if they like or hate their life.

And sometimes they own cute dogs

Reactions: 5 users
Maybe I've only had the good ones, but every host has given me extremely valuable non-biased information about the school. And you get to see if they like or hate their life.

And sometimes they own cute dogs
Agree completely. And like I said, the bad ones were especially valuable in the process.

Was always a big fan of the student hosts. Especially if you are travelling far, it helps defray some of the cost of the trip. You never know who you will meet. I ended up staying at the Med School Frat (which was totally a real thing) during my Tulane interview.

That being said, hosts were better in the beginning of the cycle. Hotels were better in the latter stages when I just wanted to be alone and decompress.

Hope this helps!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

I personally would not want the interview to start even before you go to the actual interview, which may happen if you have a student host.

I personally would not want the interview to start even before you go to the actual interview, which may happen if you have a student host.
This is basically never the case. I have never heard of any student host who has any bearing on your chances. Sure, you should be courteous and respectful when interacting with the students but no more than you should when in any other social situation.

This isn't really a thing as far as I know. I went to parties with a few of my hosts and it was a blast. They're just there to make the interview process go a little smoother for you, save you some money, and leave a better impression of the school

Staying with student hosts is great, would definitely recommend. Unless you're interviewing at Harvard, in which case you will end up sleeping on the floor of a tiny dorm room.

• Haha
Staying with student hosts is great, would definitely recommend. Unless you're interviewing at Harvard, in which case you will end up sleeping on the floor of a tiny dorm room.
Hehe pretty sure the COL of the area is inversely correlated to the quality of the host's room. The tradeoff is worth it though when you consider how much you save on hotels/airbnb in the area!

Agree completely. And like I said, the bad ones were especially valuable in the process.
"Bad" was a bad way to phrase that. Let's say, "personalities-that-I-didn't-believe-were-as-compatible-with-mine-as-I-found-at-lots-of-other-schools." As I mentioned above, this was at what had been my dream school and it raised my antennae on things to look for during second look. When I discovered that there were others at second look with the same concerns that I had (yes, we checked to make sure we all just didn't have the same interview host), it confirmed that I would feel more comfortable elsewhere (and luckily I had some choices). Ironically, the school I eventually chose was the one where I stayed in a hotel during the interview. However, I did make sure I stayed with a current student during second look.