Staying with Medical Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K271

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have gone to interviews - are you all staying overnight with the medical students (as many schools have given the option of doing), or just staying in hotels near the school? For the people that did stay with students, do you think you got anything out of it that you wouldn't have if you didn't stay with them (other than saving the cost of a hotel room)?

Members don't see this ad.

i have done one interview staying with a host, and two without, and i have to say that staying with a host can add a lot to the experience. you get to see students outside of the medical school setting, as well as get a feel for areas where students live, etc. and of course talking to a student for a few hours, you can really get to know them and learn in depth about the school and their experience there!

I stayed with a student (I've only done one interview so far) and it was very helpful. I was only in the area for one night and I felt that the experience gave me a very good idea of student life. I also ended up having dinner with a whole group of first and second years who were very candid about their experiences and I got an earful of tidbits that the students you meet during the interview day are less likely to share. The best part was that my host picked me up from the airport and made dinner, etc. It was like staying with a friend, which made the entire visit much more relaxing.

Members don't see this ad :)
K271, I doubt you're going to find too many negative comments about staying with hosts. In addition to the above, it takes away that 'dead time' the night before after dinner when you have nothing to do but think about the interview.

Stayed with a host at Pritzker, and I plan on staying with students everywhere I go. Except for when I came up to your school, of course ;) Since 1/4 of my high school class goes to UF and we all still are tight, I stayed with a couple girls there. I think they breed hot girls at UF.. but that's just my opinion :)

I agree with everybody above. Since student hosts are volunteers, they are generally pretty enthusiastic about meeting applicants and telling them the good and bad about the school. Thats something you probably wont get otherwise.

I just wish I could have taken more advantage of student hosts. I waited too long to request it at some schools so I got stuck at hotels. Besides hurting my wallet, it also didnt allow me as much to ask questions in a no stress atmosphere. Stay with student hosts every single time you can.